[Vision2020] Nils, Retreats

Chris Storhok cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us
Thu Jan 19 12:59:25 PST 2006

Phil, Nils,
These types of retreats are popping up all over the county, several of them
exist near Fairbanks, within the Mat-Su Valley, and along the Richardson
Highway (Fairbanks to Valdez).  I also know of a couple of retreats located
on the Keweenaw Peninsula of Michigan's U.P. used mostly by residents of
Chicago.

The travel industry has taken note of this new trend and is beginning to
market these retreats.  They advertise the sparse rooms, the quite
no-activities weekend, and no thrills (read low fat/low sugar) meals.
Customers tired of clutter, noise, and living by a tight schedule are
reserving them left or right.   It is interesting that people have grown
weary of the activity filled vacations and now want to relax; is this a sign
that the baby-boomers are finally getting worn out or has modern life just
grown way too complex?

I have several friends from Seattle who drive to Cottonwood just to spend a
couple of nights at St. Gerts., the appeal for these folks is the solitude.
The constant hum of modern life is enough to drive anyone nuts.

What is wonderful about the retreats themselves is that most are designed to
have a very low impact on the environment (no golf courses, or large
buildings), and can be built for the most part on smaller lots.   Heck,
Mark's place on Moscow Mountain would make a perfect retreat.

This is a great business opportunity for someone in Latah County.

Chris Storhok