[Vision2020] A Woman's Right to Choose (where she shops) Hangsinthe Balance

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 18 22:09:16 PST 2006

Andreas

I am not sure that control of ones body is a complete right in all
circumstances either.  Society makes rules with respect to perfectly logical
functions like expectoration and defecation, the right to sell ones own
organs or the right to sell the services of ones own body.  If the right to
privacy in the actions one takes with respect to ones body was an absolute,
the act of prostitution could not be found to be illegal, since after all,
the body parts of the two individuals involved in such an act are definitely
parts belonging to the two people contracting in privacy to use something
that definitely does not belong to the state.

I have often found it strange that there is an assumed universal right to
privacy with respect to an abortion, but no such right exists for people
involved in victimless crimes.  We now have the right to kill ourselves if
we are of sound mind, but if the same person of sound mind decides to ingest
certain substances, they can and will be jailed for long periods of time.
The substance used for the act of suicide can indeed be the same substance
that in the non-lethal situation would place the person in jail.

Similarly, if a man takes a woman to dinner, a show, gives her flowers and a
gift of jewels and ends up in bed with her, there is a supposed right of
privacy in the transaction.  But if the same two people exchange far less
cash and hop into bed, they are doing so criminally and their right to
privacy ceases to exist, including a right of the government to film them in
the act in Technicolor with Dolby sound for effect.

Perhaps it is best said, as did the Immortal Bard, the law is an ass.  The
only thing consistent in the privacy issue is its very inconsistency.

Phil Nisbet