[Vision2020] A Woman's Right to Choose (where she shops) Hangs inthe Balance

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 21:28:01 PST 2006

The right to an abortion is not the right to terminate another human life.
There exists no right to terminate another human life; otherwise, the right
to abortion would extend to infanticide and murder. It does not.

The right that exists in an abortion is the right to  control the processes
of your own body. Society has no right to dictate whether or not you are
pregnant. It has no right to dictate whether you receive life-saving
treatment if you don't want it. And, as the Supreme Court affirmed
yesterday, it has no right to control whether or not you die, if that
decision is being made from rational deliberation and not under the
compulsion of mental illness.

You do not have the right to purchase whatever you like. If such a right
existed, I would be driving to work in my gold-plated jet-powered Rolls
Royce, when I felt like it. This is because resources are scarce; rights are
not. The scarce resource to be allocated in this case -- which, I might add,
we have the <i>right</i> to allocate in a democracy -- is Moscow's retail
business. Should we really allocate every last dollar of Moscow's retail
business to a business, simply because it can afford to eat ten years of
zero profits and no other business in town can?

I really don't know why I'm doing this again, Donovan. It must be some
infinite optimism about the basic reasonability of mankind. I've got to say
though: you've put a pretty big dent in infinity..

-- ACS