[Vision2020] More important issue: Pittsburgh beats Colts

joekc at adelphia.net joekc at adelphia.net
Tue Jan 17 17:30:44 PST 2006

While we're all confessing our football sins, I'll admit that I'm a Cowboys fan! Or at least I was for a long time. Lately, I'm more of a Giants fan, since I'm from Jersey.

Why did I LOVE the Cowboys so much? The short answer is Roger Staubach! The long answer is my sister Eileen's boyfriend Howard -- who later became her first and worst husband -- who was a big fan. In a house with 5 women -- 6 when my grandmother visited -- there was little chance of the youngest child and only boy in the house watching any football. But Howard had special privileges. Whenever the Cowboys were on TV -- and that was often in the 70's -- Howard came over to our house to watch. Let me tell you, they may trash the Cowboys these days -- and for good reason -- but if you've ever seen Roger Staubach in action, it would be hard not to like them. It didn't matter what the score was; there was always a chance to win with him behind center. Very exciting days!

I'm hoping for a Steelers/Seahawks Super Bowl. But I can't see anyone beating Denver in January. By the way, this is the solution to the question, Why did Minnesota, Buffalo, and Denver all go 0-4 in their first four Super Bowls? The weather! All were rock-solid with home-field advantage in the playoffs and the likelihood of snow. But once you got them on a neutral, sunny turf it was a different story.

Joe