[Vision2020] Former Gov. Kitzhaber

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Tue Jan 17 07:36:19 PST 2006

This from former Oregon Governor Kitzhaber's
speech saying he would not run for governor,
instead to focus on health care issues:

     Š our politics today have become largely
transactional - "lower my taxes and I will vote
for you;" "give me prescription drug coverage and
I will vote for you." And it works the other way
around as well - "vote for me and I will cut your
taxes;" "vote for me and I will fund schools
first." The problem is that these transactions
are all about "me" - and have nothing to do with
"us." They are all about what I can get, not what
I can give. They neither foster a sense of the
larger public interest; nor do they do advance
the common good.

     And the fact is that we cannot solve the
crisis in our health care system - or in our
school system or in our economy or our
environment - through this kind of transactional
politics because they erode any sense of common
purpose and foster the belief that if we can just
elect a new governor; a different legislature or
a different congress - all our problems will be
taken care of. And that is simply not true.

Words well worth thinking about.

Mark Solomon