[Vision2020] what the Bible really teaches (wasDouglasWilsononwomen)

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun Jan 15 21:48:43 PST 2006

Good to hear from you, Michael.

I think that your first paragraph, whose appreciation of childbirth and
parenting I certainly echo, is still not an argument for biology as a
determining factor, much less "the" determining factor, for the acceptance,
administration and appreciation of roles of service and leadership in and
out of the church.

More troubling to me, although not unexpected, is your assertion that the
Son is eternally subordinate to the Father in the Trinity -- a position used
by complementarians such as yourself to offer a paradigm for the eternal
subordination of women to men.  The argument goes like this -- if Christ is
co-equal to the Father and yet submits to him within the relationship of the
trinity, then women, being entirely co-equal to men, can still then be
ontologically created by God for eternal submisison (subordination) to men.
Even if Christ were eternally subordinate to the Father, and I argue that is
not the case and not what the Scriptures teach, nor what the Church has
believed for two millennia, it is still a bit of a stretch to justify the
denial of positions of leadership to women on that basis.  But, again, the
Bible does not hold that Christ IS NOW and ETERNALLY subordinate to the
Father, and the faultiness of this position weakens the entire
complementarian argument.

(Note:  "Complementarian" here means those who espouse the inherent equality
of women and men but believe that in the home, church and society there are
Biblically-ordained "men's roles" and "women's roles."  "Egalitarianism,"
sometimes called "Biblical feminism," holds that the gifting of the Holy
Spirit and the relationship of the believer to Christ Jesus, not gender, is
the only Biblical basis of service, leadership, and positions of authority
inside and outside of the church).

One of the most important books I've ever read is "The Trinity and
Subordinationism-- The Doctrine of God and the Contemporary Gender Debate"
by Anglican vicar Kevin Giles (IVP, 2002).  He traces the heretical and
merely aberrant belief throughout church history that Jesus Christ, after
his ascension into Heaven, took on a subordinate relationship to God the
Father which remains eternally and is a proper model for understanding
gender and subordination.  Giles argues convincingly that neither Scripture
nor the Church has taught such an idea, and that it is, in fact, not an
orthodox Christian belief:

"Evangelicals who speak of the eternal subordination of the Son have fallen
into the very error of which (Karl) Barth warns: They have read back into
the Trinity their prior beliefs about the sexes.  Instead of moving from
relations in God to human relations by analogy, they move from fallen human
relations to divine relations."  Continuing, "... the Trinity is to be
understood as a community of equals who work together in perfect harmony and
love; none is before or after; none is greater or less than another . . .
all are co-equal.  Those who read the Bible otherwise, arguing for the
eternal subordination of the Son, read the Bible in a way rejected by
orthodoxy." (Giles, p. 110-111).

I recommend the book to you, as well as many other resources available from
Christians for Biblical Equality, the egalitarian group to which Jeff and I
enthusiastically belong.  You might not change your mind about Christ and
eternal subordination within the Godhead, but perhaps you will come to
understand that EVEN IF that doctrine were true, it is a very shaky
foundation from which to argue for eternal female subordination,
particularly in light of the clear, redemptive testimony of Scripture.  This
is a case where bad doctrine results in bad practice, Michael, and the cost
is and has been very high -- not just for women, but for the men who love
them and, more strikingly, the men who hate them and think that a mere
tweaking of the most glaring vitriol and violence is all that's necessary to
  conform misogyny and sexism to the will of God.  It can't be done, and it
ought never have been attempted.

Let's keep talking.  And for all of those brave Visionaires who are still
reading -- please know that I'm aware that it seems silly, if not downright
tragic, to be arguing for women's equality in 2006.  But the majority of
self-identified conservative Christians in Moscow and elsewhere are not
convinced of the egalitarian position of the Bible, and even when it's not
really an issue to them, it's nonetheless an issue because of the
pompousness and smugness of those hearty guys at the fieldhouse who feel the
need to inject robust sexism into all sorts of places where clearer thinking
often speaks too passively.  Thanks for reading and, Michael, thanks for
writing.

keely