[Vision2020] Legislative Newsletter I from Rep. Trail -- Jan 9-13

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Sat Jan 14 08:30:30 PST 2006

Visionaries:

   The first week is highlighted by the Governor's State of the State
address and budget presentation.  This year Idaho has over $200 million in
surplus funds.  The Governor has noted that he will not approve any of
these funds for on-going programs but only for one time expenditures.  Here
are some of the highlights of the first week.

1.  Higher Education  --  Kempthorne's budget calls for a 4.78 percent
increase in higher education spending.  The budget includes a 3 percent
increase for faculty and staff. Kempthorne also  talked about a community
college initiative which could make $5 million available to start two year
schools at several places in Idaho including the Treasure Valley.

 2.  State Employees  --  The Governor's recommendation is for a three
percent raise for state employees, to last for the last 10 weeks of  2006
and the first 16 in 2007.  It will  be on merit based distribution.
   It is interesting that Speaker Bruce Newcomb noted that state employees
have not received a raise for the past four years, and it should be pointed
out that a 3 percent  raise this year will still not keep up with projected
inflation for 2006.  There are a number of legislators including
conservatives who feel that a 4 or 5 percent increase is due state workers.
 I have signed up as a co-sponsor on both resolutions.

3.  Teachers’ Salaries  --  The Governor wants to spend an additional $27
million on making teacher salaries more competitive.  Kempthorne proposes
to increase the starting salary to $30,000.  It should be pointed out that
several years ago a number of Legislators proposed that we raise starting
teacher salaries to the $30,000 level.

4.  Energy Rebate  --  The Governor proposed paying $63 million or
$50/person energy rebate to all claimed dependents on 2004 individual
income taxes or all who filed a claim for a grocery tax credit.  Frankly,
legislators I talked to will only support the credit going to those at or
below the poverty level.

 5.  Sex Offenders  --  Kempthorne proposed doubling the maximum sentences
for the most severe sex crimes.  It should be pointed out that for the most
serious sex crimes that district judges already have the ability to issue
life sentences.  The Governor asked for stricter registration laws for
registered sex offenders.  There will, indeed, be a series of bills
introduced to tighten up reporting for sex offenders and heavier penalities.

6. Wal-Mart  --  With all the discussion taking place in Moscow about the
possibility of a giant Wal-Mart getting started, it is advisable to keep
your eyes on what might happen at the state level.  I talked with Speaker
Bruce Newcomb.  Speaker Newcomb told me that Wal-Mart has "sucked dry” two
communities in his district.  Many small businesses have gone out of
business, and property taxes produced by businesses have fallen off.

  Speaker Newcomb is also concerned about companies like Wal-Mart that pay
low wages and limited health benefits.  Many states have discovered that
Wal-Mart and other large companies encourage their workers to seek state
assistance for health benefits, welfare, food stamps, and other similar
forms of assistance.  This is shifting medical costs to the taxpayer.  The
Speaker has asked Health and Welfare to conduct a survey of all
companies who employ over 10,000 people in the state  to assess how
prevalent this problem is.  He is ready to introduce a Fair Health Care
Insurance piece of legislation modeled after that of some 20 some other
states.  This would require big box companies to contribute at least 8
percent of their pay roll to employee health care.  The state of Maryland
just passed this type of legislation (overriding a veto on the way).

 7.  Minimum Wage  --  It appears that a bipartisan coalition will be
supporting a bill to raise the minimum wage to $6.15/hr with the CPI put in
place.  This would provide an automatic cost of living increase each year.

8.  Howling Success  --  The Idaho Department of Fish and Game intends to
kill up to 75 percent of the wolves in the Lolo elk zone to bolster
struggling elk herds there.  The Department wants to kill up to 43 wolves.
 There are a number of people opposed to this.

9.  Property Tax Relief  --  Legislators will be proposing to raise the
homeowners property tax exemption to $75,000.  There will be many more
proposals.

I'd appreciate your comments and suggestions.  My phone # is 208-332-1260
and e-mail ttrail at house.idaho.gov

Representative Tom Trail