[Vision2020] Moscow old and new

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 12 12:36:24 PST 2006

On 12 Jan 2006, at 11:08, Julie Crumley wrote:

> Gonna bust your chops a bit....it's Elk Creek Falls, and Dan would
> like me to tell you there is no river called Elk River. He says you
> flunked your local test.
>
> Area Sister,
> JC

Hey, give me a break!  I've been to Elk River (the city) and written a
great story about Shithead Abell, Elk River's most famous deceased pet!
  If I've confused Elk Creek Falls with a non-existent Elk River, then
that's because I was frickin' scared to death.  We hiked off the trail
with Melynda's sister, Molly, and came to this enormous drop off.  I
reckoned we were going to die.  The falls looked huge -- not a creek
but definitely a river -- and the area where we picnicked was littered
with bear scat.  Melynda and Molly swore it was black bear scat, but I
didn't believe them -- definitely grizzly.  Huge, man-eating grizzly.
There was part of a hunting boot in that scat, I swear.  But it wasn't
a Filson.  It was a cheap Chinese-made hunting boot purchased from
Wal-Mart.  Ha!

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com

PS: Can I take another local test, please?  I know all about Cougar
Dave Lewis -- I just read an excellent book about him by Pat Cary Peek.
  Oh, and I've read Julie Monroe's book about Moscow, and I'm in the
middle of 'Renegade Tribe: The Palouse Indians and the Invasion of the
Inland Pacific Northwest,' by Clifford E. Trafzer and Richard D.
Scheuerman.  And, since I bought all of these books at Bookpeople, I
should get local points for that.

PPS: Also, I want to start my fresh and fair local test with 1000 bonus
points for having Carl Westberg, Jr., on my team.  His family is very
modest; they only claim to have settled here in 1884, but the truth of
the matter is that the Westbergs first came to North America with
Bjarni Herjolfsson and Leif Eriksson.  Back then, the Westbergs weren't
interested in conquest or homesteading -- they'd just forgotten where
they'd buried the lutefisk.  It might have been in some Greenland
ice-flow, and so, being frugal folk, they weren't about to let it
vanish without a hunt.  They came in Viking longships to Newfoundland
with lutefisk on the brain.  It wasn't long before Bjarni and Leif got
bored with Vinland and decided to sail back home, but the Westbergs
were made of sterner stuff.  They made their way West to what is now
Idaho and the Palouse, and here they found something better than
lutefisk -- delicious fresh salmon, courtesy of the Nez Perce.
"Delicious," they cried.  "This doesn't taste a bit like stinky feet or
dirt!"  And thus they decided to stay.  A thousand years later, here
they are -- modest, unassuming, and eating fresh salmon with sour cream
and dill sauce on lovely fresh lefse.  The end.