[Vision2020] Moscow old and new

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 12 11:00:53 PST 2006

Dear Visionaries,

Just to get it out of the way, I moved to Moscow in 1993 with my
partner, Melynda, who was born here in 1964.  As Carl will attest, no
one apart from the Nez Perce have been on the Palouse longer than the
Westbergs, but Melynda's grandmother, Georgette, worked OB at Gritman
for about 4000 years, and she probably helped deliver every Moscow-born
member on this list.  I consider myself and adopted Moscow native
because, like Joe Campbell, I had the good fortune to "marry in."  I've
discovered that helps.

I've also discovered that it helps to know and love the Palouse as it
is.  This doesn't mean we transplants shouldn't get involved in the
fight for Moscow's character; what it means is that we should learn
about the city's history, listen to its oldest residents, and genuinely
care for the town and its people.  I have thought Moscow was the bee's
knees since I first set foot on its soil back in August of 1992.  I
came for a week-long visit to meet Melynda's family and never wanted to
leave.  Why?  Because I had breakfast at the Beanery, bought books from
Bookpeople, shopped at Hodgins, and hiked at Idler's Rest and Elk River
Falls.  I remember when the new Tidyman's opened and people came from
miles around to take a gander at the fancy new joint and get free snack
cakes from Twinkie the Kid.  Moscow was like the Raleigh of my
childhood, only even smaller and more intimate.  And so Melynda and I
packed up our duds and our dogs, and we moved "home."  I have never
regretted it.

In the South, we make a distinction between Yankees and Damn Yankees.
We're fine with Yankees.  They move to North Carolina for the high-tech
jobs and the moderate weather, and they go with the flow.  They learn
to love North Carolina barbecue, pig-pickings, and sweetened iced tea.
Damn Yankees complain about how North Carolina is not New York, or New
Jersey, or Michigan.  They make fun of our accents; they despise our
food.  They don't want a Bright Leaf chili dog from the venerable
Char-Broil on Hillsborough Street; they want a Coney Island dog.  I say
if you want a Coney Island dog, then for god's sake, go to Coney
Island.  For a long time, Brother Carl and I used REM's "Stand in the
place where you live" as our theme song.  Love where you are;
appreciate what it has to offer.  Get into the local foodways,
folkways, highways and byways.  Listen and learn.

The Yankee invasion has done a lot of good for the South.  People who
didn't grow up with segregation and Jim Crow laws have made common
cause with progressive Southerners like Mab Segrest and Morris Dees,
and race relations have slowly but surely improved.  We needed good
Yankee transplants, people who loved the South enough to help it change
for the better.  It's good to have a sense of place, a feeling that you
belong; it's good to know who you are and where you stand, but there is
always room for improvement.  Transplants can help us with that.  But
they have to be willing to be absorbed by the local culture, to learn
by trial and error what's changeable and what's written in stone.  They
have to love the place in which they live -- enough to take the heat
when they buck against an oncoming tide like the Super WalMart and find
themselves accused of hating the poor, economic myopia, restricting
choice, and, worst of all, neither understanding nor caring about
Moscow.

I love Moscow, Idaho.  I love it better than Raleigh, North Carolina.
There, I've said it.  I have forsaken the land of my birth and embraced
my inner Westerner.  May God have mercy on my soul.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com

PS: I have a Resistol cowboy hat.  I'm going to start wearing it
EVERYWHERE.  It goes so well with my Filsons and Carhartt's.