[Vision2020] newcomer? oldtimer?

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Thu Jan 12 09:52:08 PST 2006

I've enjoyed reading the various posts about what constitutes being part of
Moscow's history.  I guess my family has a unique perspective . . .

My father and my father-in-law were born in Boise back in the 30s.  They
graduated from UI, and my Castleford-born mother-in-law attended for two
years.  My husband's family homesteaded here more than a century ago --
those would be the Mixes -- and my grandfather was a muckracking journalist
in Boise for decades (he was an Emerine).  My in-laws stayed in Moscow after
college and left in 1976; during that time my father-in-law, John Mix, was a
co-owner of KRPL, a state legislator, and the Voice of the Vandals.

My husband Jeff and I moved here in February 2002.  I'm on the school board,
he's president of the Latah County Historical Society board of trustees, and
our kids are settled in to Moscow High and Moscow Jr. High.  We bought a
house a stone's throw from where Jeff grew up, because it had a porch from
which we can enjoy views of Tomer's Butte and Paradise Ridge, just as he did
during his childhood.

All of this makes us feel good about Moscow, but doesn't give us any more or
less right to be heard on issues involving our town.  To some, we're
old-timers by blood; to others, annoying newcomers.  But what I think really
matters is this:  Moscow is our home, and we don't plan on ever leaving.  I
would say that I hope to die in the 83843 zip code, although not any time
soon, and I hope my sons decide to stay here.  Regardless, I'm planted and
the roots are only growing deeper.

It's worth fighting the good fight for our local history, our public
schools, our environment and economic vitality, and anything that makes
Moscow a healthy, functioning place to live.  I think we're richer when we
listen to all of our neighbors and consider past, present, and future in our
deliberations.  All growth is not sprawl; I think a new high school has
benefits, even if located on the edge of town, that far surpass its "new
Moscow" location, and any school anywhere has inherent benefits that a Super
Wal-Mart can't begin to equal.   I remain steadfast in my opposition to a
Supercenter simply because it's bad for my town, in the same way that last
spring I supported the new high school because it was good for my town.
Good people can disagree, but let's not shut off opinions because of the
duration of residence of the speaker.

And to the one charming old-timer here who constantly tells me that I have
"that strong, angular Mix jawline," well . . . the genetics are impossible,
but the compliment is appreciated ... I think.

keely