[Vision2020] my reply to Phil

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Jan 9 21:02:58 PST 2006

Visionaires,

I realize that my response to Phil's "fleecing of Moscow" post might have
sounded curt and dismissive to those unaware of the history that Phil and I
have via Vision 2020.  It would pain me to be thought of as rude, but there
is some context here.  During last spring's school bond campaign, I spent
literally hours a day responding to Phil's questions about the bond and
accusations about me, and I felt that sometimes the exchange was, ummm, less
than fruitful and productive after awhile.  As you know, the bond failed by
a wide margin, and I got to be on the receiving end of a fair amount of
abuse in defending it.  Not a crime, certainly, but not something I'm just
dying to repeat.

On the other hand, I consider it part of my job to defend MSD and Dr.
Donicht when they are charged with wrongdoing.  Candis Donicht and I have
often disagreed, but she is a woman of remarkable integrity and ability.
MSD does an outstanding job, and, frankly, I think I've been a good trustee.
  So while I'm not itching to replay the drama between Mr. Roderick and
myself, I won't sit quietly when MSD and the superintendent are maligned.  I
won't, however, give it more attention than necessary.

Since spring, I've tried to come up with many more fun ways to spend my
time.  A shoulder operation last week means I won't be at Spring training in
February, but even if I can't hurl sliders off the mound, I will field
invective hurled at me.  I just hope we can all discuss policy without
resorting to spitballs and name-calling.  It makes things so much nicer.

keely