[Vision2020] Walmart

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Mon Jan 9 10:51:45 PST 2006

Phil,

I cannot be sure of WalMart's corporate intentions.  However, a little of what you speak of has already occurred at the present WalMart.

When the Moscow WalMart first opened, they were the price leaders on almost everything.  On certain items they still are, especially in pharmacy/ drugstore type products.  However, on many products there is no difference between their prices and many Moscow businesses.  For example, the WalMart price for many cleaning supplies is the same price found at Tri-State.  On certain household items, WinCo prices are lower than WalMart's.

In addition, do not think that the national brand products bought at WalMart are the same as sold by other area retailers.  WalMart (and many other big box stores and chains) really puts the price squeeze on manufacturers.  Hence, the manufacturers value engineer* the products they produce for WalMart and others.  The George Foreman Grill that you would buy at WalMart is likely not the same quality as the one you would buy at Tri-State despite the sameness of model number.

WalMart is not the only one to do this, however they seem to be the most predatory in this regard.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com

*Definitions of Value Engineering on the Web:
  a.. An analysis of materials, processes, and products in which functions are related to cost and from which a selection may be made so as to achieve the desired function at the lowest overall cost consistent with performance.
  www.lancastercountyheritage.com/planning/cwp/view.asp

  b.. A short formal project review, utilizing highly experienced experts in the project field, to try to identify and recommend alternative solutions that will add value to the project, by reducing costs or in other ways. The study follows a formal set procedure for identifying and evaluating areas of value savings, and usually takes place soon after a preferred design is identified and estimated. For large projects, this process is required by most funding sources.
  www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/I5DesMoinesWaySouth188St/glossary.html

  c.. Value engineering is a functional analysis methodology that identifies and selects the best value alternative for designs, materials, processes, systems, and program documentation. VE applies to hardware and software; development, production, and manufacturing; specifications, standards, contract requirements, and other acquisition program documentation; facilities design and construction; and management or organizational systems and processes to improve the resulting product.
  strategicsourcing.navy.mil/reference_documents/defs.cfm

  d.. Value Engineering is a technique used to evaluate life cycle costs of engineering projects. It is a standard activity undertaken by GDOT for major design projects that recommends potential cost saving opportunities to the project design team.
  www.i16i75.com/index_files/main_files/faq.htm

  e.. An organized methodology that identifies and selects the lowest lifecycle cost options in design, materials and processes that achieves the desired level of performance, reliability and customer satisfaction. It seeks to eliminate unnecessary costs in the above areas and is often a joint effort with cross-functional internal teams and relevant suppliers.
  www.bridgefieldgroup.com/glos9.htm

  f.. Design proposal to lower the total project cost of construction.
  www.fta.dot.gov/library/planning/prob/glossary.html

  g.. Currently defined by many government agencies as an organized effort directed at analyzing the function of construction operations, systems, equipment, facilities, procedures, methods, and supplies to determine if anticipated costs are consistent with the requirements for performance, quality, safety, and maintainability.
  www.ecostructure.com/res_glossary.html

  h.. An organized effort concerned with the elimination or modification of anything that contributes to the cost of a contract item or task but is not necessary for needed performance, quality, maintainability, reliability or interchangeability. 003
  appl.nasa.gov/resources/lexicon/terms_v.html

  i.. Value engineering is a branch of industrial engineering in which the value of a system's outputs is optimized by crafting the optimum mix of performance and costs. In most cases this practice identifies and removes unnecessary expenditures, thereby increasing the value for the manufacturer and/or their customers.
  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_engineering