[Vision2020] homeschooling

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sun Jan 8 18:07:41 PST 2006

Keely,

I also respect the desire of parents to home school their children with two caveats:

1.    The parents have the necessary knowledge to do so, and
2.    The children are tested to ensure they are learning.

There is little doubt that some parents do a fine job of home schooling.  Some do not.  Unfortunately, there is currently no way to test the distribution of effectiveness of overall home schooling versus the public education system.  Such a method could be useful and instructive to both parties.

I know from first hand experience in Boundary County that some parents do not have the adequate knowledge to teach certain subjects.  For example, one set of parents did not know the correct multiplication tables and not only taught the wrong ones to their passel of kids but also taught them that electronic calculators were wrong on this point when they disagreed with the parents.  There were some home schooling parents who could hardly read.

Hence, my opinion is that both the home schooling parents and the home schooled children need to be tested regularly.  The parents need to be tested to determine if they have the minimal knowledge necessary in certain subject areas at given grade levels and the children need to be tested to see if they are learning at a standard which would be acceptable/passable/adequate in the public school system.

Those families who repeatedly fail these tests should then be required to enroll their children in public or private schools until both parents and children can pass the requisite tests.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com