[Vision2020] RE:Public vs.Homeschooling

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 8 16:54:24 PST 2006

Seems funny how "government intrusion and government schools" are nasty
critters - until these people want to go to college or grad school.  THEN
government loans, grants, and schooling looks very good to them.

In the past twenty-five years, if something in the school came up that I did
not agree with in one of my children's class, I had NO problem with talking
to the school district, teacher, or principle, etc. and getting my children
out of that subject or class.  None.

I have tried homeschooling as well - some years ago.  I would never
recommend it to anyone unless you have plenty of time and energy and LOADS
of patience to devote to the children and to the work that they need to get
done.  It is incredibly hard work and I found the "extra trips" with other
families less than adequate for socialization of my children.  They quickly
become very isolated and very narrow in their thinking and acting.  For the
most part, the "publicly paid" teachers in our schools are heroes and should
be thanked continually for their hard work and devotion to children they are
not responsible for raising.

If people are looking to isolate and keep their children away from unwanted
influences, do what others have done and build your own community somewhere
that is not already occupied and operating.  But, let me tell you this -
your little darlings are NOT the perfect little angels you would have
everyone believe them to be.  No matter what "protection" you put around any
child, influences do occur and you being there as an open, supportive,
loving parent is what helps keep them from falling.  If they do fall, be
there to help them back up - but stop blaming the schools or  "government
interference" - you are the one that is supposed to be there for your kids.
Their "failure" only mirrors your's as a parent - in most cases.

J  :]