[Vision2020] HR 3855

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 7 12:15:45 PST 2006

Dan

The bill is flawed, which is of course why Otter pulled out on it.

Back when we discussed similar things years ago, the obvious change to this
kind of legislation would have been and still should be to sell some of that
land to the State and local governments.

A big portion of the Forest and BLM lands in Idaho are not Wilderness and do
not possess quality to be Wilderness.  They are working lands and in many
cases we have problems seeing them properly administered.  This in many
cases is because the property positions of Federal and State and Private
Entities are a patchwork of ownerships.

That patchwork is supposed to be cleaned up by land exchanges and other such
devices, but as those who have experienced the process of it, the time and
effort required to transfer lands takes decades and more money than a lot of
that land is worth.

We all know that the 66.4% of Idaho owned by the absentee landlords in
Washington DC is not generating revenues for our states tax requirements.
We also know that the program of Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILT) does not
come anywhere near to covering the Feds portion of the costs to the State or
its community for the ownership they have.  Allowing the Idaho Department of
Lands to purchase 15% of the USDA Forest Service and BLM lands in Idaho
would be a very good thing in terms of helping to pay for education in our
state.

The Feds own over 35 million acres of Idaho and selling 5,250,000 acres to
IDL that could be added to the University and School trust land base would
add over a Billion dollars in value to our educational institutions here.
IDL currently manages 3,650,000 acres of land that return $65,000,000 a year
to the States educational endowments every year, so adding more than double
to that would be a great way of helping to improve education here in the
state.

So lets say we carve a mortgage deal with the Federal Government on five and
a quarter million acres of ground and pay them $15 an acre per year for the
next thirty years.  The land would still generate an extra $25,000,000 for
Idaho Schools in that first 30 years and over a hundred million dollars a
year thereafter.

And if it were Idaho Department of Lands property, it would still be public
lands accessible to the general public.

Phil Nisbet