[Vision2020] How about uncertified pastors?

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Fri Jan 6 09:31:02 PST 2006

Greetings:

Good post Don Huskey.  You promised that you would only post once and then
let your wife take it from there.  I'm so glad that you have broken your
promise.

My pet peeve is uncertified pastors.  This country is awash with
them.  They do not have proper training in theology or counseling, and they
do just as much damage as uncertified teachers or Idaho parents who
homeschool their children with absolutely no state controls at all.

The problem of theological and scientific illiteracy in our country can be
partially laid at the feet of ignorant preachers, or clever ones who know
better but still get their jollies from controlling the minds of their
congregations.  The rest of the world stands aghast at the disinformation
campaigns coming out of many US pulpits.

My favorite example is the Southern Baptist Convention's campaign to
convert the dark souls of Hindus and the Indian Christians who told them to
butt out of their religious affairs.

Nick Gier

"The god you worship is the god you deserve."
~~ Joseph Campbell