[Vision2020] Gandhi, King, and Thoreau: Principles of Civil Disobedience

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Fri Jan 6 08:57:04 PST 2006

Hi Phil,

I agree with you that Gandhi's methods would not have worked against
Hitler, Stalin, the Japanese fascists, and many others seemingly without
King's "goodness within."  That is why I'm not a pacificist and why I
believe that it is sometimes necessary, such as WWII, to take up arms to
defend ourselves.  Even Gandhi believed that it was worst to be a coward
rather than to retaliate against a heartless aggressor. This means that
Gandhi most likely cannot be construed as a pacificist either.

Nick Gier