[Vision2020] Gandhi, King, and Thoreau: Principles of Civil Disobedience

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 6 04:29:48 PST 2006

Nick

Glad you liked the article on Mike, he is a man who deserves the praise for
trying to put the arts in Heart of the Arts that we here have as a slogan.

As for the article, I think it worth posting the following response;

While there is much to be admired in the non-violent protest behavior of a
man like Gandhi, there are problems in the real world which his solution
simply does not cover.  As a primary example, from his own life time, Gandhi
suggested that non-violence should be used by the Jewish Populations of
Europe as a means to halt the Holocaust.  Even in 1946, when he was fully
aware of what the Germans had done, Gandhi told his biographer Louis Fisher:
"The Jews should have offered themselves to the butcher's knife. They should
have thrown themselves into the sea from cliffs." and this would have
presumably convinced the Nazis to stop the action in the Death Camps.

While the ideal of non-violent resistance is workable in cases where the
government is composed of people who are likely to be embarrassed by things
like murder of protestors, beating of woman and children and other terrible
activities, some governments are not bothered.  It is also true that in
cases where the majority of the people in a country are impacted, they may
come forward to oppose a violent and repressive regime.  How this works in
the case where the regime does not care and actively seeks to carry out
violence and where the target of the violence of the government and the
majority is a minority can be readily seen in Rwanda.

The Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King’s actions worked because at root, the
majority of Americans found the actions in opposing him reprehensible.  The
American ideal of freedom for the individual was seriously challenged by the
presence in the country of the Jim Crow system, so non-violent protest and
civil disobedience was a workable solution.  But if the same action had
taken place in Germany in the 1930’s, the result would have been far
different.

The same goes for the non-violent movement in India.  Yes it won, but it was
battling the British, who for all of their foibles are at root holders of
the ideal of individual liberty and the system of law.  Had Gandhi been
fighting a different regime, one that dehumanized their opposition and that
had no feeling of embarrassment at murder would he have been successful?

King and Gandhi had wonderful and workable ways for using non-violence as a
means of political action within Western democratic systems.  Both men are
deserving of our admiration.  But the system that they preached is not
universally workable and we forget that at our own peril.

Phil Nisbet