[Vision2020] Regressive Taxes and pre-Legislative update from Rep.Trail

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 6 04:39:19 PST 2006

Representative Trail,

 Thank you for  posting an update on the issues facing the state legislature this  coming session. I commend you, Shirley Ringo, and Gary Schroeder for  your dedication to the people in this community. No doubt your efforts  have brought huge dividends to Moscow and Latah County.

  However, I do have some concerns regarding the taxation issues. I am  opposed to the notion of ANY regressive taxation system. In particular,  the taxing of groceries, clothing,  and other needed items by the  poorer members of our community through a new sales tax. Taxing the  poor 10--20% more for their food, in my viewpoint, it the most  unethical means of obtaining funding for raising the salaries of  government employees. I am not stating that funding is not needed for  government employees, I am just loudly voicing my objections to means  of exploiting and implementing an undue and unfair burden on society's  weakest and most vulnerable in order to achieve this goal simply  because it is the most politically expedient avenue.

 My  suggestion for a fair tax is a progressive tax, like income tax, or a  flat tax on services and luxury items.  There is no reason why  beauty salon services are not taxed but food and OTC drugs remain  heavily taxed.

 Taxes require a cost to be paid by  someone. The poorer members of our society cannot endure any more  financial burdens. Moscow is already one of the most expensive places  to live and own property in Idaho. I urge you take the ethical route by  not supporting any regressive taxes that soak the poor.

  Education is no doubt important. But it is not more important than food  and  clothing which you will be taking away with a regressive or  sales tax.

  Thank you,

  Donovan J Arnold