[Vision2020] City Council's Material Change

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 4 18:51:13 PST 2006

Scott

Though this has absolutely nothing to do with me and I have no particular
desire to get into the middle of this slug fest, I would point out that the
Planning Act and other Idaho law relating to zoning in the paragraph you are
referencing is referring to the P&Z and not the City Council.  The governing
body that they refer to in the clip you use is the City Council.  As the
Governing Body, they have the right with just one hearing to enact
legislation (In the case of a city that is Ordinances) and there would be no
liability.  The P&Z may either hold one hearing or send the ordinances up to
a hearing at Council level or they may hold two hearings and then the
ordinance may skip the hearing stage at the council level.  The council has
no requirement to have ever had this ordinance in its P&Z Commission.

As I understand it, the previous council had a hearing and passed an
ordinance.  So, the City was really required to hold a hearing prior to
issuance of its moratorium.  The only way around that would have been for
the council to have passed a finding of a state of emergency that claimed
that the health and safety of the citizens of the city were at risk, in
which case they could have passed the moratorium immediately as an emergency
measure.

That is why Nancy had second thoughts, without a hearing passing a
moratorium would have placed the City in a position of liability.

And as everybody jumps up and down thinking that this only effects NSA,
people might want to remember that there are two commercial schools in the
CBD that pay taxes ;that would be equally effected.  Let’s not see the
innocent slaughtered in the crossfire of this particular dispute please.

Phil Nisbet