[Vision2020] guns, gospel, and guffaws

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Jan 2 08:37:45 PST 2006

Lurking Kirkerss and Blogmeisters can call me an Intolerista -- from them,
it's kind of a compliment -- but charges that I'm humorless and boring
really bug me.  I consider myself an inimitably zany gal, but even my
always-eager sense of humor was clouded by the "Celebrate Diversity" handgun
T-shirt referred to yesterday by Tom and Wayne from Courtney's blog.  (It's
a T-shirt that pictures row after row of different handguns, with the
"Celebrate Diversity" motto printed underneath).  The blogmeister assumes
that my comment that such a post does damage to the gospel is evidence of my
dull and plodding, joyless existence.

But since I derive joy from the Gospel, I tend to get crabby when people
dishonor it.  Here's why I thought a snort and a guffaw about a "Celebrate
9handgun) Diversity" T-shirt does just that:

"Celebrate Diversity" has come to mean a number of things that are
critically important to many people, particularly in a college community.
It should.  While there are unquestionably some silly attempts at
"diversity," the thrust of the message is that we as a people are made
richer by the presence and contributions of diverse cultures (by which I
mean beliefs, traditions, viewpoints, histories, etc., whether racial and
ethnic in origin or not).  The message also celebrates that the sum of us
strengthens the "one-ness" of us and speaks against racial, ethnic, and
cultural superiority; the dominant standard of the age (for instance, white
Protestant, American, affluent males) has been done away with.  It's an
important message that Jesus Christ demonstrated with remarkable power and
that the Gospel can and should bring about.

I think that a "Celebrate Diversity" shirt with pictures of, say, different
types of coffee, donuts, or Chevrolets is probably not somethig I would
wear, but it doesn't rise to the level of offense in its "wink-wink,
nudge-nudge" silliness.  Guns, however, are different.  Guns kill people.
While not "antichrists," guns are certainly "anti-peace."  Guns have caused
tremendous damage to our country, our world, and especially to marginalized
people throughout it.  I don't celebrate the presence of guns; I acknowledge
their necessity and utility, but I recognize them as a concession to a
grossly fallen and sin-drenched world when used for defense, a morally
neutral tool when used for hunting, and a thing of malice and violence when
used in crime.  Call me a wet blanket, but the proliferation and variety of
such doesn't make me run to the Dollar Store for confetti . . .

I doubt that anyone who's ever met me thinks I'm humorless, just as I doubt
that LK's and Blogmeisters who don't know me will ever presume less than mal
intent on my part in responding to them.  But given that the "JC" I emulate
is Jesus Christ and not Jim Carrey, I'll plod on in my allegedly lugubrious
defense of the Gospel, even at the risk of DC's scorn and mockery.

keely