[Vision2020] NFWF and Wal-Mart

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 27 12:41:27 PST 2006

Mark

I still call it Greenmailing, but I suppose that Greenwashing makes it a
little more acceptable to some.  Its still part of the unlevel playing field
that Walmart seeks to create.

When local businesses and resource business do mitigation for acrages, we do
so on the basis of functionality, which is actually most often a lot more
than acre for acre.  Wetlands mitigation is most often 2-3 to one for
distrubed lands.  Riparian mitigation on a functionality basis is most often
2:1.  In my career in mining, the ratio for lands which I have disturbed in
explortation or development to lands reclaimed has averaged 2.2 acres
reclaimed for each one disturbed.

One of the biggest deals in the environmental mitigation process is
selection of lands for habitat mitigation and assigning functionality
parameters.  I think you can recall some of the big meetings on the
Beartrack Mine in trying to establish functional values for riparian
restoration versus created wetlands.

So Wally World making some sort of claim to fame for a 1:1 is hardly
generous and as you note is underfunded.  Further, your figure should
reflect what other industry in the West does, so perhaps coubling your
fogure would more accurately reflect ;what they should be doing in terms of
mitigatory measures.

It has always bugged the heck out of me that development projects from
Moscow to Jackson Hole never have reclaimation plans and never are forced to
do functional mitigation that mines take as a matter of course in our
business.  Once a shopping center or a housing development is put in place,
it will never be anything else, but they are never required to mitigate
that.  A mine will end up reclaimed in this day and age and will not simply
reclaim, but will compensate for lose of functionality during the mining
process and require interum reclamation during mining as well.  It used to
crack me up talking to old Phil Hocker who as a developer had wiped out 900
acres of wintrer elk habitat in Jackson without ever doing an ounce of
reclamation or mitigation for his destruction and hear him gross about
mines.

Maybe its time to require developers to do mitigation.

Phil Nisbet