[Vision2020] NFWF and Wal-Mart

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Mon Feb 27 12:01:26 PST 2006

Hi Chris,
A great example of "green-washing" -- in this instance the devil is
in the details. "Landscape level" conservation and "acre-by-acre"
footprint of Walmart stores don't quite match up. Money is money and
I'm certainly not saying that WM contributions are not potentially
valuable, but I can see the ads now: slow camera pan over a
forest/desert/canyon/lake/etc. Voice over: For every acre of Walmart
stores built, we save an acre of America's natural heritage for you.

Reality: Using a local example discussed on Vision 2020 recently, the
cedar grove on Moscow Mountain, estimated value including stumpage is
somewhere in the 1.3 million dollar range for just under 300 acres.
Call it $4000/acre. By the requirements of the grant program, WM pays
half or $2k/acre for $600k total. For the purposes of this argument,
let's assume that $2k/acre is a good average for the "high
conservation value" lands that are the focus of the program and it's
$3.1 million annual budget. That would be 1,550 acres nationwide.
Walmart plans on building 1500 stores this coming year according to
news reports. Average footprint of stores and parking lots is @30
acres or 45,000 acres of Walmart stores this year alone or a deficit
of 43,450 acres unfunded in their program.

If WM is serious about offsetting their landscape level impacts,
they'll need to kick in another $86,900,000.

Mark Solomon