[Vision2020] Just a Little Something to Think About

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Feb 26 17:36:53 PST 2006

>From page 394 of the 9/11 Commission Report . . . you know . . . the report
whose recommendations that George Bush publicly stated he was going to enact
and enforce:

"Recommendation:  The burden of proof for retaining a particular
governmental power should be on the executive, to explain (a) that the power
actually materially enhances security and (b) that there is adequate
supervision of the executive's use of the powers to ensure protection of
civil liberties.  If the power is granted, there must be adequate guidelines
and oversight to properly confine its use."

Sounds really, really neat-o, doesn't it?

Sidebar concerning the P&Z meeting last Wednesday:  The little detail that
caught my attention, as I was listening to KRFP's broadcast this afternoon,
was the Wal-Mart's representatives' (from Spokane Valley) claim that they
had conducted thorough research into the potential development of a local
super center (so far, so good, until they said . . . ) here in Moscow
(pronouncing our town as "MOSS-COW" [as in the bovine cow], not "MOSS-COE"
[the way in which anybody who has at least stopped in Wheatberries for a
coffee would have pronounced it])  Their pronunciation of Moscow told me
that they had obviously not spoken to ANYBODY.

Yet, in spite of Bush's failed promises and bogus reports produced locally
by . . . well . . . you know, . . . I still manage to find that silver
lining . . .

"With a Little Help From My Friends"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Sounds/Help.mp3

Seeya round town, Moscow.

sideways, chocolate in one hand, a drink in the other, body thoroughly used
up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO. What a ride!'"