[Vision2020] 02-25-06 LA Times: Trust the truth

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 25 17:36:00 PST 2006

Chas

Slander and liable are not free speech.  Knowingly making false statements
with the intent to mislead is also chargeable.

If a company puts out claims, for an example, which prove demonstrably
false, they are not only liable for tort action by any parties harmed by
their false statements, they are also criminally charged.

That is true in the USA or there would have been no way that the States
could have extracted that huge amount of money from the Tobbaco companies.
If your premise on this was correct, then Ligget and the rest could have
said, "Hey we were simply expressing our first amendment rights to say as we
wish, so why should we be fined or charged?".

Irving knew that his statements were false.  He used his statements to sell
a product.  The product he sold caused material harm to victims of the
crimes he claimed were lying about their experiances.   His product had and
has serious potential to cause additional harm.

Anmerican solutions for this would be fining the man to the tune of huge
bucks.  Austria's solution is to put him in jail for a couple of years.

Now if Irvings statements were matters of opinion and suggested as being
matters of opinion, that would be very different.  Iriving claimed that his
statements were matters of fact, when the evidence was clear that his
statements were indeed false and he knew them to be false.  I am not sure
that this makes him a martyr to anybody who is not already a raving Nazi
lying sack of crap anyway.

Phil Nisbet