[Vision2020] Lies, Ports, and Saudi Arabia Yet Again!

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 15:25:25 PST 2006

DC, Joan et. al.

Most US ports are run by foreign based private sector businesses at this
time, but the turnover of port operations to the UAE involves a foreign
government owned company, not a private corporation, operating critical US
ports.  This raises different concerns, given the UAE's conduct and
connections in the Islamic world.

Dubai Ports World is acquiring London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam
Navigation Co., a company that operates the port of Miami (yes, the "limeys"
already operate some US ports), which in effect means that this very active
US port is already associated with this state owned UAE company, and this
fact is being fought in court now.  Excerpt below from this link/article,
that explains the objections to the UAE takeover:

http://wjz.com/topstories/local_story_049154722.html

A company at the Port of Miami has sued to block the takeover of shipping
operations there by the UAE owned business. It is the first American
courtroom effort to capsize the sale.

The Miami company, a subsidiary of Eller & Company Inc., presently is a
business partner with London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation
Co., which Dubai Ports World purchased last week. In a lawsuit in Florida
circuit court, the Miami subsidiary said that under the sale it will become
an "involuntary partner" with Dubai's government and it may seek more than
$10 million in damages.

The Miami subsidiary, Continental Stevedoring & Terminals Inc., said the
sale to Dubai was prohibited under its partnership agreement with the
British firm and "may endanger the national security of the United States."
It asked a judge to block the takeover and said it does not believe the
company, Florida or the U.S. government can ensure Dubai Ports World's
compliance with American security rules.
--------------------------------------
Although the UAE has troubling links to terrorism and terrorists, the fact
that two UAE nationals were among the 19 9/11 hijackers is overshadowed by
the Saudi 9/11 connections, with 15 of the 9/11 hijackers of Saudi
nationality, and the ominous funding trail for the 9/11 attacks that
flowed from within the Saudi borders:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11,_2001_attacks

Fifteen of the hijackers were from Saudi
Arabia<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Arabia>,
two were from the United Arab
Emirates<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Arab_Emirates>,
and one each came from Egypt <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egypt> and
Lebanon <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanon>.
----------------------------------

The lack of a full well publicized government investigation into Saudi
terrorist links to 9/11 and other terrorist activities, and the influence of
the 100s of billions of Saudi US investments and US reliance on Saudi fossil
fuels, on the US economy and government, is far more of a critical issue
than the UAE terrorist connections, though I agree it is good that port
security and the terrorist links of so called Middle East "allies" is now
more on the media and congressional radar.

One critical question is how the sad state of US port security has gone so
long without public demands for improvement, while we invade other nations
spending hundreds of billions ostensibly to keep the US safe from
terrorism?  The lack of necessary improvements in US port security in recent
years raises serious questions regarding the truth behind the agenda of the
"War on Terror" and the functioning of the Homeland Security Dept.

More info on the UAE below:

http://www.thinkprogress.org/2006/02/17/ports-uae/

Some facts about the
UAE<http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/Dubai_Ports_letter.pdf>
:

– The UAE was *one of three countries in the world to recognize the
Taliban*as the legitimate government of Afghanistan.

– The UAE has been a *key transfer point for illegal shipments of nuclear
components* to Iran, North Korea and Lybia.

– According to the FBI, *money was transferred to the 9/11 hijackers through
the UAE banking system*.

– After 9/11, the Treasury Department reported that the UAE was *not
cooperating in efforts to track down Osama Bin Laden's bank accounts*.

Ted Moffett