[Vision2020] Wake Up WalMart Update

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Thu Feb 23 14:24:41 PST 2006

and right on the heels of the report is this.
mark.
*********
Wal-Mart to Loosen Health Insurance Limits

By MICHAEL BARBARO
Published: February 23, 2006

Wal-Mart Stores, facing a raft of state
legislation that would require it to increase
spending on employee health insurance, will lift
several of its long-standing - and
most-criticized - restrictions on eligibility
over the next year, the giant retailer said this
morning.

The changes, which Wal-Mart's chief executive, H.
Lee Scott Jr., will formally announce before a
meeting of the nation's governors on Sunday,
underscores how big a public relations threat the
health care issue has become for the nation's
largest private employer.

Wal-Mart insures less than half of its 1.3
million employees in the United States and has
come under growing criticism for skimping on
benefits and shifting the cost of health care to
state governments. In the past two months, the
Maryland Legislature passed a law that would
force Wal-Mart to improve its benefits and
legislatures in a dozen more states, including
California, Washington and Rhode Island, are
considering similar bills.

The new eligibility rules at Wal-Mart are
intended to increase the number of employees who
can access the company's insurance plan, but it
was unclear how significant the impact would be
because Wal-Mart released little detailed
information.

What is clear is that Wal-Mart would still
require workers, whose average pay is less than
$20,000 a year, to pay hefty annual deductibles
and monthly premiums.

Wal-Mart said it would "significantly" reduce the
waiting period before a new part-time employee is
eligible for insurance, but it declined to
specify by how much. Today, part-time workers
must wait two years, compared with 180 days for
full-time employees.

In addition, the company will allow part-time
employees to enroll their children in the
company's health insurance plan. Until now,
Wal-Mart covered only the children of full-time
workers.

At the same time, Wal-Mart said it would make a
new health-care plan introduced in several
regions this year, with premiums as low as $11 a
month, available to half of its employees by next
year.

That plan allows for several prescriptions and
doctors visits before a $1,000 deductible kicks
in. But it is unlikely to cover a complicated
illness or expensive hospital stay during the
first year, when there is a $25,000 insurance
cap. In addition, out-of-pocket payments range
from $300 for prescriptions to $1,000 for
hospital stays.

Wal-Mart also said it would expand the use of
in-store clinics to treat employees. Such
clinics, which the company set up in Northwest
Arkansas as a test six months ago, are intended
for non-emergency medicine, like flu shots.

"We are trying to make our plans more relevant,
accessible and affordable," said Mona Williams, a
Wal-Mart spokeswoman.

Asked how many workers are expected to enroll in
the company's health insurance plan after the
changes, she said: "We think these enhancements
are a step in the right direction for associates
but don't yet know how they affect take rates."

It is unclear how much the new plan will cost
Wal-Mart, a number that investors will be anxious
to learn given Wal-Mart's no-frills business
model, which emphasizes low labor costs. Ms.
Williams said the plan was factored into
Wal-Mart's profit forecast for 2006, which the
company announced earlier this week.

The changes represent a significant victory for
Wal-Mart critics, particularly organized labor,
who contend the retailer has skimped on benefits
and shifted health costs to state governments.

The groups have tried, with apparent success, to
turn Wal-Mart into a symbol of what is wrong with
American health care, triggering legislation in
numerous states that is directed squarely at
Wal-Mart.