[Vision2020] Two issues in one

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 21 19:59:11 PST 2006

"This just out.  When gay bashing Nazi Aryan Churchs do anti-War
Protests  who you going to call?"

Oh No! Nazi's protesting the war; sounds like Bush is now losing even
his base of support.

_DJA

Phil Nisbet <pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com> wrote:  This just out.  When gay bashing Nazi Aryan Churchs do anti-War Protests
who you going to call?

Motorcyclists Roll to Soldier Funerals By RYAN LENZ, Associated Press Writer
Tue Feb 21, 6:11 AM ET

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. - Wearing vests covered in military patches, a band of
motorcyclists rolls around the country from one soldier's funeral to
another, cheering respectfully to overshadow jeers from church protesters.

They call themselves the Patriot Guard Riders, and they are more than 5,000
strong, forming to counter anti-gay protests held by the Rev. Fred Phelps at
military funerals.

Phelps believes American deaths in     Iraq are divine punishment for a
country that he says harbors homosexuals. His protesters carry signs
thanking God for so-called IEDs — explosives that are a major killer of
soldiers in Iraq.

The bikers shield the families of dead soldiers from the protesters, and
overshadow the jeers with patriotic chants and a sea of red, white and blue
flags.

"The most important thing we can do is let families know that the nation
cares," said Don Woodrick, the group's Kentucky captain. "When a total
stranger gets on a motorcycle in the middle of winter and drives 300 miles
to hold a flag, that makes a powerful statement."

At least 14 states are considering laws aimed at the funeral protesters, who
at a recent memorial service at Fort Campbell wrapped themselves in
upside-down American flags. They danced and sang impromptu songs peppered
with vulgarities that condemned homosexuals and soldiers.

The Patriot Guard was also there, waving up a ruckus of support for the
families across the street. Community members came in the freezing rain to
chant "U-S-A, U-S-A" alongside them.

"This is just the right thing to do. This is something America didn't do in
the '70s," said Kurt Mayer, the group's national spokesman. "Whether we
agree with why we're over there, these soldiers are dying to protect our
freedoms."

Shirley Phelps-Roper, a daughter of Fred Phelps and an attorney for the
Topeka, Kan.-based church, said neither state laws nor the Patriot Guard can
silence their message that God killed the soldiers because they fought for a
country that embraces homosexuals.

"The scriptures are crystal clear that when God sets out to punish a nation,
it is with the sword. An IED is just a broken-up sword," Phelps-Roper said.
"Since that is his weapon of choice, our forum of choice has got to be a
dead soldier's funeral."

The church, Westboro Baptist Church, is not affiliated with a larger
denomination and is made up mostly of Fred Phelps' extended family members.

During the 1990s, church members were known mostly for picketing the
funerals of     AIDS victims, and they have long been tracked as a hate
group by the Montgomery, Ala.-based Southern Poverty Law Center's
Intelligence Project.

The project's deputy director, Heidi Beirich, said other groups have tried
to counter Phelps' message, but none has been as organized as the Patriot
Guard.

"I'm not sure anybody has gone to this length to stand in solidarity," she
said. "It's nice that these veterans and their supporters are trying to do
something. I can't imagine anything worse, your loved one is killed in Iraq
and you've got to deal with Fred Phelps."

Kentucky, home to sprawling Fort Campbell along the Tennessee line, was
among the first states to attempt to deal with Phelps legislatively. Its
House and Senate have each passed bills that would limit people from
protesting within 300 feet of a funeral or memorial service. The Senate
version would also keep protesters from being within earshot of grieving
friends and family members.

Richard Wilbur, a retired police detective, said his Indiana Patriot Guard
group only comes to funerals if invited by family. He said he has no problem
with protests against the war but sees no place for objectors at a family's
final goodbye to a soldier.

"No one deserves this," he said.

___

 List services made available by First Step Internet,