[Vision2020] Critics Blast UW Students for Insulting Hero

Melynda Huskey melynda at moscow.com
Mon Feb 20 22:26:41 PST 2006

AreaMan wrote:
> Tom,
>
> Not an attempt at humor.  Just pointing out what I see as a double
> standard.
>
> I agree with you 100% regarding the Pappy Boyington issue.  I also don't
> doubt your support for our veterans.
>
> I'd just think that one veteran and his ideas are just as important as
> honoring another and his accomplishments.

I disagree with both of you regarding Boyington:  surely the students
have every right to express their opinion of him, and whether or not he
represents qualities and attributes they want to honor. It's not yet
against the law to value pacific achievements as well as, or instead of,
martial.  As a pacifist, I think it behooves us to look beyond the
military for our heros.

As for veterans and the pledge, heck, my dad's a veteran, too, and he
doesn't want the pledge recited.  So we're at an impasse, unless we
concede that while military service can be honorable, it doesn't entitle
anybody to be eternally deferred to on every matter that comes up.
Unless you're my dad, in which case, you are.

Filially,

Melynda Huskey