[Vision2020] Domestic spying

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sat Feb 18 16:06:18 PST 2006

Sunil,

Re:    George Will Column

If I were to ride tomorrow morning the 2:10 AM bus from downtown Minneapolis
that I referenced in the post yesterday (repeated below the line) then the
conversation would include:

Rider F:    They say George Will is a communist.
Rider B:    Yep.
Rider C:    Um-Hummm!

W.

Pat, et al,

Many years ago when I was very poor, I worked as a Tech I for the Minnesota
Department of Highways.  At one time I was assigned to a construction survey
team.  It was actually a very good job, paying decently, outside, and with a
crew boss with a real work ethic.  The taxpayers got their money's worth out
of us.  Often we ran instead of walked in pursuit of our tasks.

On occasion we needed to work on Saturdays in the summertime.  The crew boss
had commitments for Saturday afternoons (read "golf") which meant we started
work  at 3:30 AM to accommodate his schedule.

Since I was poor and had no car, I had to catch a ride on a bus at 2:10 AM
in the morning in downtown Minneapolis about an hour's walk from where I was
living.  There was generally the same bunch of middle-aged and older riders
on the bus, all of whom seem to know each other well.

The conversation went something like this.

Rider A:    They say Eisenhower was a communist.
Rider B:    Yep.
Rider C:    Um-Hummm!

[Pause]

Rider D:    They say Kennedy is a communist.
Rider B:    Yep.
Rider C:    Um-Hummm!

[Pause]

Rider E:    They say Hubert Humphrey is a communist.
Rider B:    Yep.
Rider C:    Um-Hummm!

[Pause]

Etc ...

Pat Kraut says: "I was told that Northwest gifts (sic) left because of rent
and so did hunters (sic)."

Request to Pat (and certain others):

If you wish for people to believe what you say, then please give your
sources and their credentials/titles/etc so that V 2020 readers can evaluate
the probability of the truth of your remarks, especially since in this case
you are disputing the accuracy of another poster's statements who apparently
did some research.  Its not that I don't believe you, but I have no way of
assessing the worth of the information you contribute without knowing
something about from whence it came.

I noticed earlier today a post from Donovan making a bunch of statements
about the PEM and some of its occupants.  That post did not mention any
sources and was contradictory to other information which I believe has a
high probability of being true, hence I drew my own conclusions.

However, Pat before you get your shooting irons out and head out to Saddle
Ridge steaming with eyes ablaze, I do not equate you with Donovan.  Though
you and I have different worldviews and very different life experiences, I
believe that you are basically an honest, good-hearted person.  I have
noticed that some of your actual observations on the local scene,
particularly about traffic and law enforcement problems, agree with mine.

It is just that in my dotage, I need all the help I can get to determine the
truth of statements that I might sometime have to depend upon for my words
and/or actions.

Thank you.