[Vision2020] Killing?

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Wed Feb 15 22:25:59 PST 2006

On 15 Feb 2006, at 21:49, Phil Nisbet wrote:

> Joan
>
> I think that the plant in question, the Sudanese one, was an aspirin
> factory that was claimed to be making chemical weapons for Ossama.
> Though the blast did kill a few people directly, the biggest lose
> there was of the sole plant that made cheap local pharmaceuticals in
> that country.
>
> At the same time we targeted certain villages in Afghanistan and blew
> them to shreads.  Both attacks were deemed justified as a retaliation
> and then the hunt for Bin Ladin was dropped.
>
> If you recall there were similar incidence of blowing up people and
> buildings on numerous other occasions, ie Libya after a disco was
> blown up in Berlin.
>
> Phil Nisbet

Ah, yes -- I believe you're correct, Phil.  Thanks.  Whatever the
factory made, it wasn't chemical weapons.  Re: Afghanistan, I recall
Donald Rumsfeld's comment that, unlike Iraq, Afghanistan lacked
significant targets of value, i.e., the place was already a shambles.
What was to bomb?  Huts.  Dirt roads.  Nothing but poor targets and
poor people.  And we still missed bin Laden.  I was listening to a
report on the BBC World Service a few weeks ago.  The British Army had
bin Laden's convoy in their sights in Tora Bora; it was steaming off
for the Pakistan border.  They contacted the American command for
permission to attack, but permission was denied.  We (the Americans)
said we'd take care of this ourselves.  The result?  By the time U. S.
forces got to where the British already were, bin Laden and company
were long gone.

Going for the political glory?  I fear so -- at the expense of
killing/capturing the man directly responsible for 9/11.

Joan