[Vision2020] Does Doug Wilson fit the Presbyterian mold of an ordained minister?

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 15 15:07:31 PST 2006

Ok, I realize this is a bit long, but......

What Presbyterians Believe about ordination

What does it mean to be ordained?

Presbyterian beliefs about ordination have changed significantly over the
years

What Presbyterians believe about ordination has changed--sometimes rather
significantly--over time. For example, the ordination of women as ministers,
elders and deacons--something considered unthinkable earlier in our
history--has become not only acceptable but expected.

Three unchanging beliefs Presbyterians have remained open to change
regarding our understanding of ordination because of three unchanging
beliefs:

1.) We believe that God is the source and summit of all ministry in the
church. For Presbyterians ordination is not synonymous with ministry. We
believe all Christians are called by God and equipped by the Spirit for
service in the world when they are joined to the ministry of Jesus Christ at
their baptism. On the other hand, not every member is called or equipped by
God for the exercise of particular offices of ministry within the church.
2.) Presbyterians hold the conviction, voiced in chapter 1 of the Book of
Order, that "truth is in order to goodness." Truth includes our shared
convictions about who should be ordained, to what offices, for what
purposes, and with what preparation and standards of accountability. The
measure of this truth, however, does not depend upon logical coherence or
philosophical argument, but from the character of the fruit it bears.
3.) Presbyterians believe that ordained ministry should be collegial (shared
with others), non-hierarchical (shared by clergy and laity), and communal
(representing the whole church and not merely a congregation). We also
believe those called to ordained offices in the church should be subjected
to a process in which their calls are tested and confirmed by the church.
Men and women together?

In 1789, when the first General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the
United States of America met in Philadelphia, all church officers-- deacons,
elders and ministers--were, by both custom and church law, male. The very
notion of women holding office was considered preposterous. Indeed, some
early 19th-century church "worthies" became quite worked up over the
possibility that women might lead prayer in "promiscuous assemblies"
(gatherings where men would be present).
Women were prohibited from serving as elders or deacons until the 1930s--or
the 1960s in the Presbyterian Church in the U.S. (PCUS). Ordaining women to
the gospel ministry took an additional 20-30 years.

Today, however, the proportion of women and men serving in ordained offices
is nearly 50 percent each, a development that is mirrored in the enrollment
figures of the 10 Presbyterian theological institutions.

Whose hands?

Until the 1830s no one seriously challenged the notion that only pastors
(also called bishops until 1957) were permitted to join in the laying on of
hands in the ordination of new pastors, elders and deacons. Professor
Charles Hodge of Princeton Theological Seminary, who opposed letting elders
take part in the process, was fond of quoting an old Latin proverb: Nemo det
quod non habet (no one may give what he does not have). Hodge's argument was
cast aside by the PCUS in the 1860s, but Presbyterians in the "Northern"
stream steadfastly clung to it until the 1950s.
Today ordination is explicitly defined as an act done by a governing body
made up of ministers and elders who jointly exercise the power of
jurisdiction, rather than as an act done by persons who possess a power of
order only they can transmit.

Service for life

For the first century of American Presbyterianism, congregations were unable
to change entrenched leadership on the session or board of deacons. Elders
and deacons served on their boards until they died (or were convicted of an
offense that stripped them of their ordination). Finally, in the middle of
the 19th century, churches were given permission to opt out of the lifetime
service model in favor of a rotating limited-term service (the PCUS would
take nearly a century to provide the same option to its congregations).

Today, limited-term service is now mandatory, and congregations that wish to
be exempted from this requirement must make their request to the presbytery.

Radical roles for elders

During the same general era a then-radical notion began to take root: that
elders should be able to be moderators of governing bodies above the level
of the session. Although the idea eventually carried the day, a debate
opened up almost immediately: How, it was asked, could a lay person serve as
moderator since the retiring moderator each year was required to preach?
Because elders had not been given the power of order needed to preach, any
retiring elder-moderator was expected to deputize a minister member or
commissioner to preach the retiring moderator's sermon!
Today elders are not only regularly elected to serve as moderators of higher
governing bodies but often serve as commissioned lay pastors, preaching the
Word and presiding at sacramental celebrations for congregations without
pastors. Moreover, elders are as likely as ministers to be elected to
service as presbytery, synod and General Assembly executives.

More ministry options

When American Presbyterians adopted their first Book of Order in 1789, only
two options existed for those who had prepared themselves for ordination to
the gospel ministry. Those with a call from an existing congregation would
be ordained by the presbytery as pastors (or bishops). Those without a call
would be ordained as evangelists, charged with gathering and organizing a
new congregation.
Today those preparing to serve as ministers of the Word and Sacrament are
faced with an array of specialized forms of ministry, many of which have no
formal ties or links to local congregations or agencies of higher governing
bodies.

Testing what we believe

Picture a child's top. When the top is not spinning, all sorts of clever
lines and designs can be seen, but once it is set to spinning, we see
something altogether different. When we look only at what our confessional
and governance documents say about ordination, we can see all kinds of
logical connections and easy-to-understand categories. When all of these are
put in motion by virtue of applying them to particular persons, with
particular gifts, called by particular communities of God's people to lead
them at a particular time in history, the lines and the categories begin to
blur. The strengths and weaknesses of these provisions come to light in ways
that matter to people.
Some in our church feel strongly that Christian educators ought to be
ordained. The church also is deeply divided over the question of whether
openly gay and lesbian persons may be ordained to offices of ministry. We
may wish these debates would just go away, but they are the way we
Presbyterians go about testing what we believe to be the truth. If and when
the debates finally come to an end, it will come from putting everything
that matters to us into play and then testing the fruits born of each side's
understanding and practice of ministry. (By J. Frederick Holper)

J. Frederick Holper is professor of preaching and worship at McCormick
Theological Seminary, Chicago, Ill.

What is ordination

The act by which the church sets apart leaders to serve in particular
offices. The word ordination is derived from order. In ordination the church
orders itself for ministry.

Q. For what offices is ordination required?
A. Minister of the Word and Sacrament, elder, deacon.

Q. Who does the ordaining?
A. The presbytery ordains ministers. The church session ordains deacons and
elders.

Q. How does the process of ordination work?

A. Those called to an ordained office in the church are subjected to a
four-stage process of admission to that office. Presbyterian ordination
rites have always included each aspect of this fourfold process:
•	Articulation of a clear inner sense that God is calling the person to an
office of ministry requiring ordination.
•	Testing of that inner call by the church itself. In practice, this has
included an examination not only of the person's knowledge and gifts, but
also of his or her way of life.
•	Election to office by a particular community of God's people, ordinarily a
congregation.
•	Admission to the office (ordination) in the context of public worship,
through prayer, with the laying on of hands.

Q. What kind of leadership does the church need?
A. The two key words here are gifts and service.

"Leaders in the church are identified and called to office in terms of their
gifts. It is expected that these gifts, coming from God, are to be exercised
in the particular tasks and office. It is also to be expected that the gifts
of the leader will be cultivated and developed in obedience to the guidance
of the Spirit and in the service of the church. Leaders are also called on
to empower and enhance the exercise and development of the gifts of all of
the members of the community."--A Proposal for Considering the Theology and
Practice of Ordination in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), commended for
churchwide study by the 1992 General Assembly

"The purpose and pattern of leadership in the church in all its forms of
ministry shall be understood not in terms of power but of service, after the
manner of the servant ministry of Jesus Christ."--Book of Order, G-14.0103

According to the Encyclopedia Americana, ordination is:

"The CEREMONY by which priests, deacons, subdeacons, candidates for the
minor orders and ministers of any denomination are admitted to their
specific office in the church."

While Jesus himself was not ordained by the clergy and religious system of
His day John the Baptist baptized Jesus. Christ dedicated Himself to God; so
why did Jesus insist that John baptize him? Because Jesus wanted to
symbolize in a PUBLIC CONFESSION that He had dedicated Himself to God. The
Bible tells us of Jesus' baptism that "immediately on coming up out of the
water He saw the heavens being parted, and, like a dove, the spirit coming
down upon Him; and a voice came out of the heavens: 'You are my Son, the
beloved; I have approved you."

After His ordination immediately following His baptism in the River Jordan
Jesus PUBLICLY stated the authority of His ordination by reading from Isaiah
61:1, 2: "1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has
anointed me to preach good news to the poor.  He has sent me to bind up the
brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from
darkness for the prisoners, 2 to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor and
the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn."

In today's world, declaring someone ordained through ceremony is a
recognizable way for the ENTIRE community into which the "minister" belongs,
to agree with the choosing of him and to greet the newly ordained.
Basically, it is a "vote", if you will, of confidence and acceptance of the
new minister/leader of their church.  Jesus' baptism/ordination "ceremony"
is a model for a church to follow His steps closely; it marks the person as
a person that is dedicating his ENTIRE life/world to God and God's people
for the benefit of those people and Glory of God.  It is a "token" of the
person's willingness to follow God's Word and Jesus' work.

Comment

Given all this, the following sheds light on the fact that Doug Wilson is
NOT an ordained minister in any given "ministry":

To answer your question:

Doug Wilson, Evan Wilson, and several other men were commissioned to the
work of Faith Fellowship, later to become Christ Church, by the elders of
the Evangelical Free Church of Pullman at a meeting held in the One-Way
Bookstore of Pullman, WA in the mid-1970s. The elders of EFC-Pullman at the
time included Jim Wilson and Doug Busby." (poohsthink.com)

The four stages or order of ordination were not followed; they were simply
overlooked or ignored.  The group met in a coffee/bookstore, basically had a
business meeting and decided "Viola! you are now a "minister."  Or did they?
  Were they simply "appointing" Doug as a deacon of the newly formed
ministry and he took it to be an ordination or anointing as a minister, and
ran with it?  It has been seen that the EFC have condemned Doug over the
years for actions "unfitting" of the position he holds himself in, i.e.
minister.

Where, before this and certainly since, does Doug show any kind of gift(s)
that would make people say "Hmm, this guy looks like he'd be a good
candidate for ordination?"  or "Doug Wilson has a gift for making people
understand and follow God's word?" - especially given his penchant for
ignoring God's laws and ways (for instance, following the laws of the land
he finds himself in?)

It is my belief that ordination should be required for all men that want to
be Ministers to go to a college or Seminary. Otherwise you get these people
who become Pastors simply because they "like to preach" and know nothing
about correct doctrine or how to even look for the correct doctrine.  I
think a church, when thinking of putting a pastor in office should question
his doctrine, and if he knows what he is talking about, then and only then
should a PUBLIC ordination be committed.

Because, there are skills and things learned from an experienced and well
educated Seminarian that a "pastor" should have; those things simply can not
be learned at the local bookstore or as an apprentice.  Granted, a person
would be able to learn "about" or "of" them, but you simply can't get a full
education like what you get at a college.  Seminaries have experienced
professors that have had their own parishes/churches. The reason why there
are so many churches full of false doctrine today is because of pastors who
have never gone to college and preach their own thing. They have no
counseling skills, no communication skills, and no interpersonal skills. It
leads to a mess!

Also, Pastors need to know how to properly interpret, much less educate, the
people of the Word. You don't learn how to do this by simply reading a book
all the time or even writing them. Most of the Pastors I know have a good
handle on Greek and Hebrew and actually go into the original text to get
sermons from. Sermons are a lot more difficult then just finding a problem
and getting 1 to 2 points out of it to verify their true point. There is
much more involved if done properly.  I would say that one should be an
"ordained" minister to be the senior pastor of a church, but one must more
importantly focus on what it means to be ordained.  I do realize and accept
the prerequisites will vary from place to place.

I believe that one should have a strong theological background in order to
be ordained. In almost all cases, this should require the approval of an
acceptable degree-granting university or seminary. In some wild and
generally hypothetical cases (like Peter and the apostles), one might make
an exception.  I realize that Doug is stating (lately) that he is in fact an
apostle; but can one just appoint oneself to that position?  Can anyone just
say "I am a (*), therefore I am a (*)"? In other words, is Doug a
pastor/minister/apostle simply because he says so?

Accountability needs to be another concern and requirement of an ordaining
body.  If someone is not ordained per the steps outlined above, who does the
pastor/minister(apostle) answer to?  Especially if they are, in reality,
self-appointed?

Aithníonn cíaróg cíaróg eile. -- One beetle recognizes another beetle (and
can accommodate for the lacking of their fellow beetle.)

Given the actions of Doug and his fellow "deacons" (especially after Dale's
repugnant posting this morning), I believe the Christ Church fellowship
needs to seriously look at Doug's continued role as "minister".  They need
to seriously consider if he is the type of "minister of God's Word" and
God's work that they want to represent them in the community.

J  :]

J  :]