[Vision2020] gay marriage initiative

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Wed Feb 15 13:11:33 PST 2006

This just in:  the anti-gay marriage measure passed by more than 2/3 and
will go to the voters.

My comment:  Idaho's economy is, at best, uncertain.  Schools are falling
apart for lack of funding and districts are overwhelmed under the burden of
federal "oversight."  Our children have less and less assurance of
opportunities for a top-notch education and high-paying jobs after school.
A single party controls the entire state and its effect on education, the
environment, and the economy has been less than sterling.  Our nation is at
war, we're less safe now than we were five years ago, the gap between rich
and poor is widening at an alarming rate, and we have a stunning lack of
national heroes in our midst.

And yet I'm supposed to believe that Jeff and I are more threatened by the
desire of a gay couple to make a legal committment to each other than by all
of the other threats to our society, both internal and external?

Really?

The biggest threat to my traditional heterosexual marriage is the fact that
two out of two people in it are sinful human beings who, while very much in
love, often fall short in expressing it.   I don't expect legislation to
address it, and I don't need legislation to "protect" me.  I would, however,
like to see my state focus on things that really do threaten us, but I'm
beginning to think that it won't happen until someone decides that extending
full opportunity to the poor, or protecting the environment,  is a
traditional family value.

keely