[Vision2020] Killing?

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Wed Feb 15 12:36:46 PST 2006

On February 15th, BJ Swanson wrote:

>  Speaking of killing, here's a quiz:
>
> Who has directed the killing of the most humans?
>
>     1.. Saddam Hussein
>     2.. Osama bin Laden
>     3.. George W. Bush

I think I'd add a few other massacres to this list -- massacres for
which we, the United States, were either directly responsible and/or
might have intervened to mitigate or prevent:

1. Rwanda -- 800,000 dead

2. Sudan -- 2 million dead and counting

3. East Timor -- 200,000 plus.  [Not to get you riled up, Phil, but the
Indonesian Army invaded East Timor in 1975 with the economic and
military support of the United States.  It's true that Indonesia is a
predominantly Muslim country, but we can't legitimately blame the
invasion and occupation of East Timor on Islamic jihadists, anymore
than we can blame the U. S. invasion of Iraq on fundamentalist
Chrisitans, though this country is predominantly Christian and the
current occupant of the White House is a radical fundamentalist.]

4. G. H. W. Bush's invasion of Panama -- 5,000 plus, many buried in
mass graves

And, while we're at it, let's cowboy up and take our fair share of the
blame for those crimes committed by Saddam Hussein back when he was our
tax- and military-supported puppet.  For those of you with good
memories (or, even better, reference skills), Donald Rumsfeld visited
with Saddam Hussein on behalf of the Reagan Administration back in
1985.  This visit took place shortly after Hussein ordered the torture
and execution of 140-some Shiite men and boys in the city of Dujail, a
massacre we knew about when Rumsfeld made his visit and warmly shook
Hussein by the hand.  We were tighter than ticks with Iraq back then, a
political alliance that remained firm and steady until our falling out
over Iraq's invasion of Kuwait in 1991.  Last but not least, let's
remember that when Hussein launched his chemical attacks on the Kurds,
it was the Reagan party line to blame Iran.

So, if I were to answer BJ's question, I'd be inclined to add Hussein's
Iraqi execution totals for the years 1985 to 1991 to the United States'
present tally.  What would we get then?  You do the math.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com