[Vision2020] V2020 in the news

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Wed Feb 15 11:39:40 PST 2006

Dan,

Good Points.

One must remember that a defense attorney is an advocate for the defendant,
not the criminal justice system.  Hence, Kovis is obligated by his bar oath
and his public defender's oath of office to try any feasible, ethical tactic
which might lead to a favorable finding for his client.

With this client, Kovis has a gargantuan task given all the court testimony
so far elicited, hence perhaps grasping at straws is probably one of the
better arrows in his quill.

It is not unusual for defense attorneys in difficult to defend cases to
request a change of venue, which is an expensive and inconvenient
undertaking for the county prosecutor, in order to help negotiate softer
plea bargains for their clients.  Hopefully, the prosecutor's office will
not be swayed, if this is the case in this matter.

The allegations in this case are serious and, if true, will quite adversely
affect the lives of many, which is why there should be a public trial.  We
cannot express our appreciation enough to those brave individuals who have
testified at great cost to themselves so that the rest of us learn a
valuable lesson.  Our hearts and admiration should go out to them.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com