[Vision2020] Re: LMT reporting US losses

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 6 08:14:32 PST 2006

Sunil

No, I do not think that Roger H is an anti-Semite; however, I am afraid that
the argument is quite clear and a natural progression.  I speak with some
historical precedence there.

Following the oil argument, the average holder of that debate point will go
on to Israel and to the terrors of Zionism.  That is the other shoe.  I see
this argument with frequency from both the neo-Nazi websites and from the
radical left’s as well.

But look at the oil argument itself.

It was and would have been cheaper to simply buy the oil from the dictators.
  We were locked into our allowance of brutal behavior by Middle Eastern
regimes because we wanted cheap oil.

That’s why we did nothing when the Baathists ethnically cleansed their
Jewish population.

That’s why we did nothing when Saddam started to ethnically cleanse his
Kurdish population.

We could have continued to use $20-30 Arab oil and let the wealth that that
generated buy more and more military hardware.  We could have continued our
polices of first supporting one country's dictator and then the next,
destabilizing one here and then one there to maintain low oil prices.  It is
what we had been doing from 1948 on.

Driving up the costs of the raw material oil at a very high financial cost
to the US government and all taxpayers made very little sense in terms of
American oil companies.  Our firms are not primarily in control of oil
reserves, they make their money in the refining of petroleum products.  Most
of the oil company execs were firmly against war in the Middle East.  They
fear long term disruption of the pecking order that they have firmly
established with the various dictators for their percentages of the product
flow.

High oil prices also are a spur to alternative fuels and alternatively
sourced oil.  Production of oil from the oil sands in Canada is growing
rapidly now and Big Oil is not the group that controls that particular oil
patch.  Bio-diesel and ethanol are looking very strong and Big Oil is not
the primary recipient of that potential largess.

The big winners over the next few years are not going to be the Oil Firms;
it will be the other energy producers.  Using the premises of the Oil is the
reasons for the war groups, it can just as logically be said that Archer
Daniels Midland (ADM) was the reason the war started.  ADM controls 80% of
North American ethanol production and higher oil prices have at last made
that a very lucrative business.

Once the oil is the reason for war arguments fall, where do those who want
to see a conspiracy by a government they hate turn?  They turn, as has Cindy
Sheehan, to blaming Zionism and Jews.  That process has already started.
It’s the same process that went on under the America First dialogue in the
1930’s, when the American Peace Movement refused to be involved in the
Second World War.

The rhetoric of that 1930’s Peace Movement is spot on with the current one.
You can recycle their verbiage to any current demonstration with very little
change.  We are dooming ourselves to repeating the mistakes of those years
if we do not study that history and understand it.

Phil Nisbet