[Vision2020] Lewiston Tribune Under Focus

Don Coombs mushroom at moscow.com
Sun Feb 5 11:52:33 PST 2006

  Ted Moffett wrote:

> I was amazed and dismayed to read the Friday, Feb. 3, 2006 edition of
> the Lewiston Morning Tribune, given the choices made regarding what
> deserves front page focus, and what does not.

> Am I wrong to suggest something is amiss here in the Tribune's
> coverage?  What am I overlooking or overemphasizing?

You're overlooking the fact that the Trib -- and almost
every other daily newspaper -- is not in the business
of publishing only what's significant in the historical
sense. It comes down to news values.

The first time American troops died in Iraq it was big
news. The second time, it was big news, but not quite
as big. Sadly -- and I think it's just as sad as you
think it is -- it's not news now because it happens so
frequently and has happened for so long.

If a newspaper decided it was in the business of
publishing only what was historically significant, it
wouldn't be in business long. And who would be to
blame? Not you, I guess, but the vast majority of the
rest of the subscribers, who would have cancelled their
subscriptions.

I, of course, would like to see reports of U.S. deaths
in Iraq not published anywhere in the paper, because
I'd like to see us get out of there -- so there
wouldn't be any such deaths to report.

As to the U.S. government not allowing pictures of
flag-draped caskets being returned to this country
(because that would "dishonor" the troops), that's just
Bush-league.

Don Coombs