[Vision2020] Watch Dateline tonight 9 p.m.

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sat Feb 4 09:03:41 PST 2006

J,  et al,

It is very important for parents/teachers/etc to educate themselves and to discuss and to educate minors of all ages about the egregious threats to them from sexual abuse and attendant harm/death/etc from strangers.  Perhaps Jennifer McFarland has some material to post or to link us to which parents/teachers might use in this regard.

However, child sexual abuse from strangers is only a minor part of the problem!

I do not have the latest research (again, Jennifer may be able to help us) but it has been estimated that from 85% to 97% of actual child sexual abuse incidents are perpetrated by members of the victims' families and/or circle of everyday acquaintances.

The perpetrators include parents/guardians, all other relatives and family friends, religious counselors/professionals, teachers, youth organization leaders such as Boy Scout Leaders, etc.  The vast, vast majority of these perpetrators are married men.  I hope that Ms. McFarland or some other appropriately qualified person can oblige us with some reliable information about this subject because some of the statistics will amaze many even in this relatively educationally sophisticated area.

I do not know about the following statistic for all of Idaho or the U.S., but when I lived in Boundary County, the most common child sexual abuse problems were fathers having sex repeatedly with their teenaged daughters.  Because of the religious and political nature of the county then few of the incidents were officially reported, most of the reported crimes were never prosecuted, the ones that were prosecuted resulted in unbelievably lax sentences as a result of horrible plea bargains, and there appeared to be in these father/teenaged daughter cases almost a 100% recidivism rate.  (I also know that because of these problems and their official handling, many of the best, most professionally qualified law enforcement officers were extremely disgusted, angry, and demoralized with respect to these this problems.)

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com