[Vision2020] Legislative Newsletter 4, January 30-February 3

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Sat Feb 4 08:38:03 PST 2006

This seemed to be a fairly slow week with the review of some 30 property
tax relief bills; however, all signs are that the legislature is going to
move ahead in high gear this next week.   Here are some of the week's
highlights:

 1.  State Employee and Teacher Salaries  --  word is that there will be a
2% increase effective July 1st for state employees.   This will be part of
the base, so coupled with the 3% increase that begins February 14th, we
should see a total of a 5% increase by July 1st.   This is good news for
both state employees and faculty and staff at the University of Idaho.

      My contacts on JFAC and leadership indicate that discussions are
taking place about teacher salaries.   The most serious proposal appears to
be a 3% plus increase that would take place July 1st and be built in as
part of the base.  The Governor also proposed raising salaries of teachers
to $30,000/year and fully funding the salaries.

 2.  Moscow Mountain Cedar Grove  --  Rep. Ringo, Senator Schroeder, and I
met with John Sandy of State Parks.   We discussed the legislation that we
developed that proposes to include the Moscow Mountain Cedar Grove into the
State Park System.  We will be back in touch with him on Tuesday.   We need
to submit the legislation to committee by Thursday.   Talks are going on
with the Governor's office and with other officials.   Supporters of the
Moscow Mountain Cedar Grove should contact the Governor's Office by letter,
phone, and e mail.

 3.  55 Alive  --  The House passed the 55 Alive bill on Thursday by a 66-1
vote.  This provides those who are 55 or more to take the AARP 8-hour
driving class.  Those who attend are then entitled to car insurance
discounts.   Tribute should be give to Jim Hagedorn who worked to promote
this legislation for over 10 years.

 4.  Grass Burning Notification  --  On the request of Sheriff Wayne
Rausch, Representative Ringo and I are introducing legislation that would
require the Department of Agriculture to notify law enforcement and
emergency services of the date, location, and time of a permitted bluegrass
burn.   We are also requesting that the DOA post this information on their
website.   This is a public health and safety issue.  Senator Keough from
Dist. 1 is also a co-sponsor.

 5.  HB516 Dog Fighting  --  This bill was approved for print by the House
Agricultural Affairs Committee.  The bill calls for a felony penalty for
those who organize, conduct, and train dogs for fighting.   Idaho and
Wyoming are the only two states that do not have the felony penalty for dog
fighting.

 6.  Needs Based Scholarships and Loans  --  I will be submitting three
pieces of legislation to establish needs based scholarships and loan
programs.  The evidence is clear that as the cost of college education
increases that more and more students from low
income families lack the finances to attend college.   The needs based
scholarship program would tap $10 million from the state reserve and set up
an endowment fund administered by the State Board of Education.   Interest
from the fund would be distributed to the various universities and colleges
to help students from low income families.   These are students who have
3.0 plus grade point and excellent records, but need additional assistance
to get the right kind of financial package to help them through college.

     The second proposal is the establishment of a $5 million needs based
loan program.  Initial funding would come from the state's surplus to set
up an endowment fund.  The State Board of Education would administer the
program.  Students who qualify could get low interest loans to help get
together their college financial package.  The third idea is a $5 million
needs based loan program for those students who would commit to return to
Idaho to teach math and science in the K-12 schools.  Each year a student
taught in Idaho schools then 25% of the loan would be forgiven.

 7.  Property Tax Discussion  --  The Rev and Tax Committee has reviewed
over 30 tax bills aimed at bringing about property tax relief.   The best
bet so far is that there may be an increase in the circuit breaker and
perhaps the relief will be indexed.

 8.  Rainy Day Fund  --  Both chambers approved moving $70 million into the
rainy day fund.  This will give the state a reserve of about $104 million.

 9.  Saying of the Week  --  "The second mouse gets the cheese."

I'd appreciate your e mails (ttrail at house.idaho.gov), phone calls:
332-1260, and letters.

Representative Tom Trail