[Vision2020] Moscow Mountain Preserve

Area Man areaman at moscow.com
Fri Feb 3 13:46:15 PST 2006

So let me get this straight:  Bill London wants to both *deny* and
*grant* access?  This would garner a LOT more support if people were
more inclusive rather than exclusive.  By pointing out the *bad*
motorized people you alienate the *good* ones.  I don't lump those who
shop at the Moscow Food Co-Op with everyone out there who sparks up a
doobie.  Don't lump all motorized recreationalists together.

I know my form of recreation does not appeal to everyone.  Your form
doesn't appeal to me as much as you either, but I at least participate
in yours as well as mine. I enjoy the outdoors just as much, maybe even
more, than those who recreate in only one way, mostly because I enjoy it
in different ways.  Yes, there are a small percentage of bad apples, and
they do the most damage, and most of it is in very visible places.
(yes, Wayne will disagree with me on the percentages, but let's move on)

I know I'm not going to make any converts in here.  I guess since I
enjoy a different type of recreation I should be banished from the
Cedars, as I obviously don't care about them as much. <sarcasm mode off>
Amazingly, I *do* support preserving The Cedars.  I have spent time in
there on foot in the summer and on a snowmobile in the winter (albeit
several winters since) on an annual nighttime ride.  I drive by them in
my pickup, or ride by them on my ATV or motorcycle, on my way to the old
lookout with my kids.

I don't mind that people want to close the Cedars to motorized
recreation.  There are plenty of other places that the money I spend on
off-road sticker fees goes to maintain (not on Moscow Mountain).  I just
wonder what kind of fees hikers and bicyclers pay to maintain their
trails?  I'm pretty sure they don't buy off-road stickers.

Dan Carscallen, Moscow

P.S. to the members of the Vizzz . . . Phil's response came in after I
started responding to this.  It takes me a while to respond when I'm
torqued off.