[Vision2020] More on the Cartoons

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Fri Feb 3 11:26:09 PST 2006

Phil,

Thank you for posting this important information.  It certainly highlights how dangerous religious/superstitious fantasies can become and how serious a threat such can be to all of us who cherish freedom of expression/inquiry -- a constitutional guarantee of our great country and one which more than any other has lead to the greatness of our country.

I think we can safely conclude that you strongly oppose killing people or otherwise punishing people simply because of their religious/superstitious beliefs and/or expressed opposition to the religions/superstitions of others -- a principle with which I thoroughly agree.  I have noticed that you have by implication expressed this principle several times before in your V 2020 postings with particular reference to terrorists who are or who at least allege themselves to be the only true Muslims.

However, in reality there is little you or I can do to effectively oppose religious/superstitious tyranny and irrationalism internationally.

Below the line is reposted a message cited/derived from a local religious group which also advocates that those who do not share their beliefs (pay special attention to heresy in the quoted text) should be killed.  Please notice the vigor, rigor, and passion of their imprecations.

While you and I cannot hope to have much of an effect on international matters in this regard, whether such irrational intolerance with such murderous consequences is shown by Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, etc, perhaps by acting vigorously we can hope to have a prophylactic effect on a local group which espouses exactly the same ideas.

I greatly look forward to your demonstrating your principles as expressed by your postings by being vociferous in your protests of and actions toward the local group who, exactly like the individuals in the photo you referenced, openly advocate killing those who do not agree with or question in various ways their religious/superstitious fantasies.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com

>From Credenda/Agenda by Gregory Dickison [Comments added]:

http://www.credenda.org/old/issues/vol3/magi3-9.htm

"The civil magistrate is the minister of God to execute wrath on the wrongdoer (Rom. 13:4). God has not left his civil minister without guidance on how to exercise his office. The Scriptures set forth clear standards of judgment for many offenses. Capital crimes, for example, include premeditated killing (murder), kidnapping, sorcery, bestiality, adultery, homosexuality, and cursing one's parents..."

"In contemporary American jurisprudence, none of these offenses is punishable by death, with the occasional exception of murder. The magistrates have dispensed with God's standards of justice. Some Christians believe this is an improvement. They would be horrified to think that the "harsh" penalties of the law should still be applied. Sometimes this is the result of the mistaken belief that the Old Testament has no further application after the advent of Christ. This is an exegetical problem. Too often, it is the result of a sinful view of the criminal. This sin is called pity."

"If your brother, the son of your mother, your son or your daughter, the wife of your bosom, or your friend who is as your own soul, secretly entices you, saying, "Let us go and serve other gods,". . . you shall not consent to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him or conceal him; but you shall surely kill him..."  [Heresy: Beware, ye not of the cult (including unconverted Jews)!]

"If two men fight together, and the wife of one draws near to rescue her husband from the hand of the one attacking him, and puts out the hand and seizes him by the genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; your eye shall not pity her..."

God commands the judge to evaluate the crime rather than the criminal. If the crime is one for which God requires death, then death must be the punishment. Your eye shall not pity. Neither is the repentance of the accused relevant to the imposition of the sentence.

"Thus, the Bible teaches that pity is not an option where God has decided the matter. The [civil] magistrate, God's minister, is to faithfully execute justice according to God's standard, not man's...  This means that we must return to an obedience which confines pity within the bounds which God has established for us."