[Vision2020] Challenge to the City

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 3 10:44:13 PST 2006

Maybe there is a simpler solution.  Perhaps it would be helpful if there was more enforcement of the Idaho Code as it pertains to jay walking.  And maybe the Moscow police do write a lot tickets for this, I don't know.  I can say that I definitely know more people that have gotten tickets for driving through a crosswalk while a pedestrian was in it.  Two to be exact and one had the ticket dropped before they went to court because they could prove they didn't cause "immediate" danger to the pedestrian.

  TITLE  49
                                MOTOR VEHICLES
                                  CHAPTER 7
                           PEDESTRIANS AND BICYCLES
    49-704.  CROSSING AT OTHER THAN CROSSWALKS. (1) Every pedestrian crossing
a highway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an
unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all
vehicles upon the highway.
    (2)  Any pedestrian crossing a highway at a point where a pedestrian
tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided shall yield the
right-of-way to all vehicles upon the highway.
    (3)  Between adjacent intersections at which traffic-control signals are
in operation, pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in a marked
crosswalk.
    (4)  No pedestrian shall cross a highway intersection diagonally unless
authorized by traffic-control devices. When authorized to cross diagonally,
pedestrians shall cross only in accordance with the traffic-control devices
pertaining to crossing movements.