[Vision2020] Challenge to the City

pcook818 at adelphia.net pcook818 at adelphia.net
Fri Feb 3 09:01:09 PST 2006

> Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 07:20:02 -0800
> From: "Area Man" <areaman at moscow.com>
> Subject: RE: [Vision2020] Challenge to the City
> J asks:
> "Is there any reason the City can't make it out there to paint a
> walk-way crossing like those that are on the corners of most downtown
> streets?

> Sitting on the transportation commission (albeit ex officio), I can tell
> you this has been a topic of discussion for at least a year, more like
> 18 months.  There has been involvement from student groups, City public
> works, and ITD.  There have been suggestions ranging from lighted
> walkways to pedestrian activated signals to skywalks (a la WSU campus).
> There have also been studies keeping track of car/pedestrian accidents.
> Anyone care to guess how many there have been?  Anyone?  Beuller?  There
> has been one.  Yes.  One.  And it was at the intersection of Highway 8
> and Line Street, where there happens to be a signal!  (Phil Cook will
> correct me if I'm wrong, since he's the Keeper of the Records, and can
> dig anything out of his giant black binder).  Even Mayor Chaney can tell
> you of this, as she used to be the council liaison to the transportation
> commission, and I'm pretty sure she was there . . .

Dan,

Your recollection is correct. In the last 5 years there has been 1 motor vehicle-pedestrian crossing the roadway crash on Highway 8, and it was a pedestrian crossing in the painted crosswalk, signalized intersection at Line Street, albeit after dark.

>From that "giant black binder," I also pulled out some stats folks might find interesting. Last April when ITD did its study of the corridor (Lieuellen to Perimeter) there were almost 1400 crossings per day of Highway 8 by pedestrians; 42% of those were at signalized crosswalks, 16% were at non-signalized (but legal) crosswalks, and 42% were at non-crosswalk locations. We don't have any numbers, yet, about how the two new painted crosswalks have affected these stats, but many of us have observed the new crossings being used. I don't think we should expect ever to see 100% compliance, but we should expect improvement.

Many folks may have also heard the Council discussion a couple of weeks ago about in-ground lighting of the new crosswalks. I believe the city plans to pursue funding of those.

Ultimately, a fully-signalized, 4-way intersection will be created at Hwy 8 and Peterson when Greenhouse (Stadium) St. is extended from Wallace Complex north to Highway 8. That's about a $1 million project, and UI, ITD, and the City are cooperatively seeking funding for it. Until that happens, we're making do with these other measures.

In addition to the on-road activities you mention above, the City, ITD, and UI have been conducting a publicity/awareness campaign. I've seen several of the posters on campus. Here's the link to info on the City's web site:
http://www.ci.moscow.id.us/pw/engineering/PedestrianSafetyCampaign-InfoBrochure.pdf

Drive, bike, and walk safely and cooperatively.

Philip Cook
Moscow