[Vision2020] Challenge to the City

Area Man areaman at moscow.com
Fri Feb 3 07:20:02 PST 2006

J, Wayne, and Members of the Vizzz,

J asks:
"Is there any reason the City can't make it out there to paint a
walk-way crossing like those that are on the corners of most downtown
streets?  Then place signs before the crossing, on both sides of the
road, telling drivers to be aware of possible pedestrian traffic ahead?
And another sign directing the students to use the designated crossing?"

The reason no painting is taking place is because it's wintertime.
Studded tires and weather unconducive to paint sticking are big factors.
As soon as it gets nice, I'd bet we'll see fresh paint out there.  As
far as signage, do you not see the "Pedestrian Crossing" signs
(symbol-type, of course) with the orange flags on them?  They're there.
Guiding students to the crossings?  Ever hear the idiom "you can lead a
horse to water . . ."?  I think the latest iteration with the pathways
leading to the main crosswalks will make things better.  It will take
time before we know for sure.

Wayne conveys:
"the amount of complaints it took to get this small action done boggles
the mind.  I agree more needs to be done to protect the pedestrians,
bicyclists, and motorists."

Sitting on the transportation commission (albeit ex officio), I can tell
you this has been a topic of discussion for at least a year, more like
18 months.  There has been involvement from student groups, City public
works, and ITD.  There have been suggestions ranging from lighted
walkways to pedestrian activated signals to skywalks (a la WSU campus).
There have also been studies keeping track of car/pedestrian accidents.
Anyone care to guess how many there have been?  Anyone?  Beuller?  There
has been one.  Yes.  One.  And it was at the intersection of Highway 8
and Line Street, where there happens to be a signal!  (Phil Cook will
correct me if I'm wrong, since he's the Keeper of the Records, and can
dig anything out of his giant black binder).  Even Mayor Chaney can tell
you of this, as she used to be the council liaison to the transportation
commission, and I'm pretty sure she was there . . .

Anyhow, don't think there's NOTHING going on, because something is
always happening.

DC