[Vision2020] Islamic Extremism for Bill London

John D johnd550 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 17:58:24 PST 2006

Phil Nisbet <pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com> wrote:

  >> Instead of blaming Islamic jihadists and terrorists for the genocide in
  >> Indonesia, wouldn't it be more accurate to hold responsible the military
  >> government of Indonesia that we have supported? I think your claim is
  >> inaccurate, though obviously you prefer the use of your terms of choice.

  > The action in East Timor was not something that the Indonesian military was
  > involved in.

  Wrong, again.

 "Between the referendum and the arrival of a multinational peacekeeping force in late September 1999, anti-independence Timorese militias - organized and supported by the Indonesian military - commenced a large-scale, scorched-earth campaign of retribution."
  http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/tt.html

 "[...] Indonesia’s invasion of East Timor in 1975 and the following human rights abuses and the crimes against humanity perpetrated by Indonesian troops for two decades."
  http://unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/public/documents/NISPAcee/UNPAN014997.pdf

 "But it was at a wreath-laying ceremony at the Santa Cruz cemetery, where in 1991, Indonesian troops fired on a funeral procession and killed as many as 250 East Timorese, that President Wahid offered his strongest gesture of reconciliation."
  http://www.un.org/peace/etimor/untaetPU/newsletter3E.pdf

 "Following the announcement of the result, pro-integration militias, at times with the support of elements of the Indonesian security forces, launched a campaign of violence, looting and arson throughout the entire territory"
  http://www.un.org/peace/etimor/UntaetB.htm

 "On November 12, 1991, Indonesian troops fired upon a peaceful memorial procession to a cemetery in Dili, East Timor that had turned into a pro-independence demonstration."
  http://etan.org/timor/SntaCRUZ.htm

 "Indonesia invaded and annexed East Timor in 1975, causing about 200,000 deaths out of East Timor's pre-invasion population of about 650,000."
  http://www.etan.org/et99/june/6-12/6easttim.htm

 "Six years ago today -- on November 12, 1991 -- Indonesian troops armed with American-made M-16 rifles fired on a crowed of several thousand unarmed East Timorese civilians gathered at the Santa Cruz cemetery in Dili, East Timor."

 "Indonesia invaded shortly after Portugal withdrew in 1975 and forcefully tried to subdue a resentful people and guerrillas fighting for independence."
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/country_profiles/1508119.stm

 "East Timor declared itself independent from Portugal on 28 November 1975 and was invaded and occupied by Indonesian forces nine days later. It was incorporated into Indonesia in July 1976 as the province of East Timor. An unsuccessful campaign of pacification followed over the next two decades, during which an estimated 100,000 to 250,000 individuals lost their lives."
  http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/tt.html

  "Army blamed for Timor massacre"
  http://www.guardian.co.uk/indonesia/Story/0,2763,205299,00.html

 "The United Nations today indicted Indonesia's former armed forces commander, General Wiranto, for crimes against humanity during East Timor's bloody 1999 vote for independence."
  http://www.guardian.co.uk/indonesia/Story/0,2763,902729,00.html

 "Timorese leaders said they would not seek punitive action against Indonesia following a report that blames Jakarta for more than 100,000 deaths from killings, starvation and disease during its 24-year occupation."
  http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/01/21/easttimor.indonesia.reut/index.html