[Vision2020] Islamic Extremism for Bill London

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 2 16:02:03 PST 2006

Sunil

The action in East Timor was not something that the Indonesian military was
involved in.  That was an independent action of Islamic fundementalists,
Moslem Militias.  Some of those same people are active in Indonesia right
this very minute carrying out actions against Non-moslems in other Islands.

I was one of a group of people who worked to try to gain world attention for
the plight of East Timor back in the 1990's.  We had hoped that Bill Clinton
would be as good as his word and actually take action when the cross border
militia attacks began.  Instead we got extra shipments of arms to Suharto
;who waited for most of the fighting to end before imposing martial law and
pushing the militias back to Indonesia's side of the border.  I seriously
doubt that even that would have happened had not the Nobel comittee made the
Bishop of East Timor the recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize.

This is not about condemnation of Islam in general either Sunil.  In the
case of Thailand, half of the people the radicals are kiling are fellow
Moslems.  More Moslems are being kiled by the radicals in Iraq then
westerners.  The culture of political violence that see murder as a form of
political expression is what the problem is.  I do not think that represents
the bulk of Islam, but we are not at war with the bulk of Moslems, just with
the radicals.

Phil Nisbet