[Vision2020] Re: Cindy was invited

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Feb 2 06:45:44 PST 2006

The thing that intrigues me about this thread is . . . what apparently
started as a discussion concerning a person's (or two persons') ejection
from the State of the Union Speech for wearing politically-oriented t-shirts
. . . has degenerated to "well, it happened during Clinton's administration,
too" which has absolutely nothing to do with the topic.

I believe that the question concerns first amendment rights and not who
resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Perhaps Ms. Sheehan should have been permitted to wear her t-shirt as a
demonstration of her protest against the current administration, but NOT
inside the capital building during the State of the Union Speech.  Ms.
Sheehan could have conducted a demonstration outside the building.

Although I may fully agree with Ms. Sheehan's protest (and I do), wearing
that t-shirt at the speech would only have served to increase the potential
for calamity.

Take care, Moscow.

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

--Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.-----Original Message-----