[Vision2020] Re: Joan and her arguments against a WalMart Supercenter

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Wed Feb 1 08:30:59 PST 2006

Mr Schou,

If it were that easy, don't you suppose that
other large chains would employ the same
tactics?  Sears tried this strategy during the
1970's and 1980's.  Other large retailers took
advantage of that position - Sears is certainly
well positioned now aren't they?

But you do make a good case for having a solid
business education before seeking to compete in
the marketplace.  We generally deal with the
problem of "leaving all your eggs in one basket" in the sophomore year.

You really do need to read the works by Michael
Porter that I referenced earlier.  The tactics
and strategies that you purport in your example
are no longer going to be effective in the
marketplace.  I think you are relying too much on
the union position for your argument.