[Vision2020] Question of Modern Practices

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 21:43:24 PST 2006

On 12/29/06, J Ford <privatejf32 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> For those up on or in the Jewish faith -
>
> Are the sacrifices of the OT still held as a means of cleansing?  If not,
> what is done now-a-days?  Is the "Wailing Wall" part of that or is it seen
> as place of prayer only?

The sacrifices are no longer performed. As I understand it, they
related largely to the sanctity of the Tabernacle and the state of
Israel. Since the destruction of the Second Temple, mitzvot in general
-- good deeds -- have substituted for the animal sacrifces called for
in Leviticus (which cannot be conducted anyway, since there exists no
Tabernacle). The Wailing Wall is now only a place of prayer, though
there actually exists a certain faction of ultra-Orthodox Jews that
call for the al-Aqsa mosque (the mosque now standing on the Temple
Mount) to be torn down and a new Tabernacle to be built in its place.

-- ACS