[Vision2020] Question of Modern Practices

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 13:16:20 PST 2006

On 12/30/06, J Ford <privatejf32 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, but that really doesn't give me anything to go on, I guess.  I
> appreciate the answer, just am wondering if there is a wee bit more info to
> be had.  Gran would say "Sometimes the pot is so deep, you never see the
> bottom no matter how far in you look"  Wonder if this is one of them?

There is a wee bit more info to be had, yes.  I'm not qualified to
give it, unfortunately.  I guess my answer was meant to convey that
there isn't necessarily one answer applicable to all of Judaism, which
is what your question seemed to to be assuming.

> When we were growing up, it was not allowed for the Jewish children to tell
> us about their religious practices, only that they had sabot on Friday night
> and they went to Temple on Sabbath.

Judaism isn't secretive.  The kids you encountered may have been shy,
or their parents may have discouraged them from volunteering
information about their faith or way of life because they knew that it
wouldn't be miscomprehended.

>  I do know they also practiced the "Gift of Circumcision" on the boys by the Rabbi (still do?) but that's about it as far as my knowledge goes.

Jewish boys are still circumcised (usually eight days after birth), as
are the overwhelming majority of males born in North America (thanks
largely to Dr. Kellogg, the inventor of corn flakes breakfast cereal),
whether the families are Protestant, Roman Catholic, or totally
irreligious.

The vast majority of Jews (at least in this country) don't believe in
an afterlife, and their Judaism is as much a way of life as a
religion.  I have known a large number of Jewish atheists, and even,
among my Jewish religious friends, none were waiting for the Messiah.

Howard Fast and Herman Wouk have both written eloquent and fascinating
introductions to Judaism (The Jews: Story of a People, and This Is My
God, respectively).  I also recommend In My Father's Court, by Issac
Bashevis Singer, and anything by Chaim Potok, with My Name is Asher
Lev being especially wonderful.

I hope some of this helps.  ;-)